Swirling Segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from UKpenmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKpenmaker

Having a go at a different style of segment work (for me anyway[:p]).

I need to get a scroll saw so that i can do finer more precise cuts than i am able to do at the monet with my bandsaw.

Both are Osage Orange and Paduak.

What do you all think[?].

20069161228_Seg1.jpg

20069161231_Seg2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Very interesting Andrew. I like them both. I can get a 1/8" blade for my Ryobi table top bandsaw, so you might want to check if you can get one that small for yours, maybe save the cost of another machine. Unless, of course, you just want another machine.[:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Billy beat me to it.
Escellent work(by my standards) with a bandsaw.
The joints are better than a laser blank recently posted.
There is a down side to a scroll saw with this type of pattern.
I am guessing you cut both blanks at once by stacking.
It would be tough to do that on a scroll saw.
My Dremel doesn't have that kind of capacity.
1&1/2" optimum would be hard to find on a scroll saw.

emackrell

Really neat work! Both look great!

I second Travis's question... will you tell us more about how you made them?

cheers Eileen [8D]

Ron Mc

Very nicely done Andrew.
It looks to me like you have found a method that can be pushed even further! And knowing you it will be.[;)]
I would love to see how the second pen looks with a chrome kit instead of the BT.

UKpenmaker

Many thanks all for the comments.

Eileen & Travis - They are really quit easy to do, Eagle had virtually hit the nial on the head. All i did was to stack the two different blanks and cut them and then glue back together using one half of each one. The only extra thing i did was to repeat the process after turning the glued blanks 90 degrees. The sky is the limit as to how many curves cuts you do.
I will do a tutorial when i do another one, so i can get some pictures for you all.

Eagle - I have sen a scroll saw which will cut a maximum of 2in, so hopefully this will do the job for me.

Cheers
Andy

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by UKpenmaker
<br />Many thanks all for the comments.

Eileen & Travis - They are really quit easy to do, Eagle had virtually hit the nial on the head. All i did was to stack the two different blanks and cut them and then glue back together using one half of each one. The only extra thing i did was to repeat the process after turning the glued blanks 90 degrees. The sky is the limit as to how many curves cuts you do.
I will do a tutorial when i do another one, so i can get some pictures for you all.

Eagle - I have sen a scroll saw which will cut a maximum of 2in, so hopefully this will do the job for me.

Cheers
Andy

The trade off I think would be in the blade selection.
The thicker(1&1/2" with two blanks stacked one on top of the other)the blanks are the fewer TPI required. This I believe would result in a cut that requires more sanding and most likely a thicker kerf.
At that point you may as well use a bandsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom