sweetgum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DavidWayne1971

After turning my first bowl I must admit, I went a little overboard making them. I found some sweetgum that had been cut down about a year ago and decided to see what I could do with it. I made a few candleholders, wine stoppers and a bowl that was snatched before I could get a picture of it. And for the stoppers, after seeing my dads antler pens, I had the idea to try the same thing with wood.... getting some "bark" in there. I guess they didnt turn out too bad.

Attachments

• ch 2-5.jpg
    ch 2-5.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 159
  • ch 3-7.jpg
    ch 3-7.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 147
  • ch 4-4.jpg
    ch 4-4.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 154
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Martin G

Nice work David! Does sweetgum usually have that pink running through it or is that from spalting. It's beautiful stuff!

To be honest, Ive never turned sweetgum before this week... so I dont have a clue about the pink but it is def sweetgum. This was a tree that was taken down next to my fathers house and he was watching when they did it. There wasnt much left behind, 4 or 5 good sized chunks, I just happened to see it the other day and grabbed a chunk just to see what it looked like. Gotta love finding stuff like this laying around..... cant beat the price and you never what what your going to end up with.:good:

SDB777

Nice work David! Does sweetgum usually have that pink running through it or is that from spalting. It's beautiful stuff!

I've sliced some Sweetgum on the sawmill and had a remarkable amount of coloring. Mostly tan-ish hue's, but there was a little redness to some of it...and it doesn't take long for the stuff to spalt(sometimes while it's growing, from what I've been told)!

Downside, the 'green' Sweetgum wood....whew, it sure doesn't smell great!

Great turnings!! Keep them coming!

Scott (whats that smell) B

robersonjr

Looks great David, keep it up. There was lots of old logs out behind Linda's place, bet you could find some nice junks out there to turn. I like the worm holes, they really add character to the bowl. Robbie

StephenM

Sweet (no pun intended). St. Louis is absolutely littered with sweetgum trees - There's a theory that Johnny Sweetgumseed and 3 generations of his family must have lived in the middle of St. Louis and never wanted to walk more than half a day from the house so they could be home for dinner.

One of my customers has a sweetgum tree that's probably 36" in diameter. Her house was built in 1847.

Top Bottom