Sweat causing clouding???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jasontg99

So I started trying to take better pictures of some of my recent pens and one of my abalone emperors was covered in a "white fog". It is coming off with some work. I took the refill out to see if it had leaked and here is a pic of what it looked like. There is no evidence of leaking. The reason I think it may have been sweat is the fingerprints on the refill. What do you guys think? I have never seen this before and having this happen to such an expensive pen is kind of freaking me out.

Jason

Attachments

• IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 308
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jasontg99

I forgot to mention, there is no CA finish of any kind. It is a resin covered abalone and I use epoxy to secure the component parts. This is why I don't understand this. I have got most of the clouding off of the pen. I will see if any of the other pens have this problem. Thanks for the quick responses.

Jason

can we see a picture of the pen as well?! did you use any CA on any of the components? If so, there is your answer, or so it appears to be the out-gassing of CA

Last edited:

Greg Green

Agreed, C/A outgassing. I had a cap that wasn't quit tight so I dabbed a very small amount of c/a on the inside of the tube and pressed in. No worries here. Except I immediately screwed the cap onto the body thinking nice, done! Next morning, viola, nice fingerprints etched into the shiny gold nib. Made me very sad :frown:

Andrew_K99

I also would have said CA off gassing from first hand experience but you said you didn't use CA ... I'll be curious as to what other think may have caused it.

AK

LagniappeRob

Years ago, I machined a whole batch of parts out of aluminum. I had forgotten to wipe them down before storing them. Came back a few days later to use them and each and every one had sets of my fingerprints on them - EATEN into the Al. Took me a couple more days to refinish them, and clean them.The oils, sweat, etc most definitely will eat into many kinds of metals.

jasontg99

Years ago, I machined a whole batch of parts out of aluminum. I had forgotten to wipe them down before storing them. Came back a few days later to use them and each and every one had sets of my fingerprints on them - EATEN into the Al. Took me a couple more days to refinish them, and clean them.The oils, sweat, etc most definitely will eat into many kinds of metals.

That must have been what I did (or in this case did not do). I can not imagine I would have accidentally used CA on such an expensive blank/kit. I will have to keep in mind to wipe these down after turning them. Not all of us have A/C in the shop! :rolleyes:

Thank you,
Jason

seamus7227

jason, can you show the components? the suspense is killing me. And i work in my garage in 105 degree temps but im not dripping sweat all over my work, im confused. Now that i look at your picture more, and someone commented about it being from wet sanding, even if it had been from wet sanding how would it have gotten on the ink cartridge? I mean surely you are wiping it clean of all the sanding slush once you are done, right?! Ok, so you didnt glue the components into the barrels either?

So it went like this?

~turned the barrels down on the lathe
~wet sanded
~wiped up all remains of water from wet sanding
~ensured the inside of barrels were clean and free of debris
~assembled tubes and components to complete pen
~next day, white powder everywhere

is this an accurate assessment?~

jasontg99

jason, can you show the components? the suspense is killing me. And i work in my garage in 105 degree temps but im not dripping sweat all over my work, im confused. Now that i look at your picture more, and someone commented about it being from wet sanding, even if it had been from wet sanding how would it have gotten on the ink cartridge? I mean surely you are wiping it clean of all the sanding slush once you are done, right?! Ok, so you didnt glue the components into the barrels either?

So it went like this?

~turned the barrels down on the lathe
~wet sanded
~wiped up all remains of water from wet sanding
~ensured the inside of barrels were clean and free of debris
~assembled tubes and components to complete pen
~next day, white powder everywhere

is this an accurate assessment?~

Seamus,

That is an exact decription of my normal process. I always remove any water from my pens after I MM because I use plastic polish next. With this pen I did take it to the buffer next. This is the only pen that I have had this problem with. If I do a CA finish, I ensure to leave the pen out for a day or two to degas. By the way, I made this probably two or three months ago. I made another one at the exact same time, but did not have this problem. I am going to chalk this one up to PFM. Sorry, can't do pics either. I was able to get the residue of the nib with some water and a soft towel. I know, I am just as confused as you. :befuddled:

Thanks guys,
Jason

Tim'sTurnings

Here is a definition of sweat from Medicinenet.com:

Sweat: A colorless transparent acidic fluid with a distinctive odor secreted by the small tubular sudoriferous (sweat) glands situated within the skin and under it in the subcutaneous tissue. The sweat glands discharge their fluid through tiny openings in the surface of the skin.

Could the acids in sweat possibly contaminated your components?

This is only an idea of what may have happened. I am glad you got the parts cleaned up. This is good to know as I worked on some pens today and I will difinitely watch for this.
Tim.

jasontg99

Tim,

I am just as confused as everyone else. This is a first for me. I am just glad I was able to get it cleaned up.

The people at IAP continue to amaze me. Thank you,
Jason

jasontg99

Okay, one more attempt to blame CA ...

Was the pen stored with a pen or pens in an enclosed space that you used CA on?

AK

Nope. it was stored by it's lonesome self in a plastic sleeve (same as all the other pens that do not display the same symptom). I am grasping for straws too. :befuddled:

Jason

Last edited:

jd99

Are they your finger prints? Are you sure your house isn't hunted...:eek:

Just kidding, :biggrin:
sure looks like CA gassing to me, maybe seamus has something with the way the abalone was attached.

jasontg99

I am wondering if CA was used in the application of the abalone to the tube? I know that is a long shot, but it shouldnt be ruled out. <<scratching head still>>

Seamus,

Now that is something I had not thought of. I will PM the person who made these. You may be onto something. Although, one would think it would have happened to both pens as I made them at the same time. Who knows???

Jason

Top Bottom