Surgery today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

I hadn't posted anything up till now concerning my own health status because it seems so minor compared to issues shared in here, but since I'm now resting up, medicated and having to stay out of the shop (And driving) this week, I have plenty of time to share my status with my turning friends.

I've been using my vacations this year to get caught up on Heath matters since I haven't been to a doc in a few years now. I been generally heathy and just didn't bother to go. So August vacation: I go in for my first physical since 2008. Get scheduled for a colonoscopy on my next vacation in September (checkup following polyp removal 5 years ago). Talked with doc at that point about a soft spot in the lower abdomen, so got diagnosed with hernia there and a reoccurrence of an umbilical hernia. This week is my next vacation and I had the double hernia repair done, getting some variation of screen mesh place in both locations.

I'm not in much pain yet, but doc says I'm going to feel like I was kicked by a mule in the morning. Not sure I'm looking forward to that! We'll see what tomorrow brings. At least after this, I should be all patched up for a while!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I'll keep you in my prayers. I've known a few people gone through that - and glad they did.

PenMan1

Good luck with your recovery, Dave. That is one surgery that you must be careful with, FOR A WHILE! Take it easy and keep us updated!

Old Lar

Been there and had it done. Take it easy for a few weeks and then ease into it. I have been recovering for two months and am back to as 100 percent as I can be.

I hadn't posted anything up till now concerning my own health status because it seems so minor compared to issues shared in here, but since I'm now resting up, medicated and having to stay out of the shop (And driving) this week, I have plenty of time to share my status with my turning friends.

I've been using my vacations this year to get caught up on Heath matters since I haven't been to a doc in a few years now. I been generally heathy and just didn't bother to go. So August vacation: I go in for my first physical since 2008. Get scheduled for a colonoscopy on my next vacation in September (checkup following polyp removal 5 years ago). Talked with doc at that point about a soft spot in the lower abdomen, so got diagnosed with hernia there and a reoccurrence of an umbilical hernia. This week is my next vacation and I had the double hernia repair done, getting some variation of screen mesh place in both locations.

I'm not in much pain yet, but doc says I'm going to feel like I was kicked by a mule in the morning. Not sure I'm looking forward to that! We'll see what tomorrow brings. At least after this, I should be all patched up for a while!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I haven't had the lower - groin - hernia, but I did have an umbilical hernia that I suspect I created myself a few years back by using my belly to support the end of a tree trimmer... I placed the end of the pole against my belly and then used both hands to pull down the rope to operate the loppers... notices a squishy soft spot just near the naval... as years went by, it reached the size of a tennis ball, then one Sunday discovered that it had become strangulated... that hurt to the point I couldn't drive, and the wife was just out of cataract surgery, so she couldn't drive... my first ride in an ambulance ever and on Tennessee back country roads... the EMT was trying to put in IV in my arm as we swerved and swayed around corners... he also was trying to get an EKG reading.... finally had to stop the ambulance to get it done, then on to the hospital.... the ER doctor who weight 300 lbs if an ounce, tried to push the hernia back in - twice -.. the third time he reached for it, I told him if he did that again I was going to hit him... was scheduled for emergency surgery first thing Monday morning.. 0700 in surgery and split up the belly like a fish... I have an 8" scar where they went in and put the mesh in place, plus did a bowel resection where the small intestine was strangulated....

Yes, you will feel some pain tomorrow... :eek:You'll learn not to cough, :eek:not to sneeze,:eek: sitting up will be fun,:eek: I learned to pee in a jug flat of my back,:redface: no food or drink for almost a week,:frown: ice gave me the hiccups, :frown:which hurt the belly :frown: and when they finally did feed me some broth on Friday before I left the hospital Saturday morning, it tasted nasty :frown: and created a new problem at the other end..:eek::eek:.. I lost 22 lbs that week.... too bad I've gained them all back plus about 10 more. :biggrin:

Good luck, get to feeling better... take the walks the doctor tells you too... it will only hurt for short time.

Last edited:

76winger

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and prayers. It must be working as I still don't have much pain today (although I did experience it when I coughed!). The pain med and inflammation med must be doing their job as well. Getting up is a mild effort but not much and on my feet everything feels pretty good. Thus I should get to walking pretty quick, but will have to remind myself to stay away from the shop while on meds, just like I can't drive for the same reason.

It's a good time to catch up on reading! :wink:

gimpy

Make sure you listen to the doc.........
no heavy lifting, I havn't been able to lift for years and to this date can't or shouldn't lift more than 5 lbs.
BUT, this is due to a different type of surgery...

Get back on your feet soon, and make sure to take it easy

keithbyrd

Prayers for you went up. Had the same surgery a few years ago (Umbilical) - take it easy for a few weeks and things will be fine!

76winger

I think the internal antisthesia (sp) must be finally wearing off. I'm feeling a little more pain today and a lot more sleepy, probably due to the body kicking into healing mode.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers everyone.

Woodlvr

I hope that your doc was better than mine was. My double hernia was done in January and I still have pain on both sides. No heavy lifting for six months so take it easy.

Jgrden

Yes, you are right. Watch out for the machinery in the shop. Just take inventory or sort things but do not start any machinery.

We care, I care.

bitshird

Take it easy Dave, don't over do, I was on meds so long,(3 years) now I want to ween off.
My wife had a similar procedure done several months ago, it took a couple of tough weeks for her to get back into her groove, she just had one area repaired, I can imaging it feeling like you were kicked by a horse or mule. Good luck, heal fast and outlook is everything.

Top Bottom