Super Nova Pin Jaws Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

islandturner

A year ago, I bought a set of pin jaws for my Super Nova Chuck. They look like this:

RPW23055DTSPRING08.jpg

I alternate with the 50mm jaws that came with the chuck, installing whichever set I happen to need. Recently, I've been having trouble drilling blanks in these jaws – the bit wobbles significantly during the drilling. Yesterday, put the dial gauge on them. On the outside of the chuck itself, the 'wobble' is about .002 – pretty good. On a perfect rod locked in the pin jaws and on the outside edge of the jaws themselves, they seem to be out approx .02 or even a bit more, which is really bad. Hence the drill bit wobbling -- it's trying to drill through stock turning in an oval.

I fooled around for about an hour, trying to see if there is a way to align them to remove this, but can't see it if there is. The numbering is correct. I try cinching the jaws while the attachment screws are loose; then tightening them. Nothing seems to make a difference.

I'm back to drilling at the drill press until I get this figured out.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Steve

Last edited:

dgelnett

That has happened to me when I did not keep the numbers on the jaws and chuck the same. Also before you tighten down the jaws I close them down making sure all the jaws meet evenly before snugging up the alen screws.

The other thing that can cause it is when there is some durt on the head stock where the chuck touches. These two sufaces need to be clean.

Top Bottom