Sup guys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hiharry626

Hey IAP, I'm Harry. I'm really interested in pen turning, but I have to wait till next year to take woodshop my junior year in high school. I'm 15 and I am really fascinated by penturning. Any advice/tips for me? I'm also thinking about saving up for a mini lathe from rockler.. Can you guys suggest something cheap that's good for a beginner pen turning? Everything required to turn a pen. Also should I buy penblanks in packs from Ebay? Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Also is the fountain pen kit from rockler.com any good? Are there any cheaper kits out there for FP's that I can buy? Remember guys I'm only 15 and I have a small budget, but I'm going to love this hobby no matter what. Thanks guys! :laugh:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Welcome, Harry!!!

Walk before you run.

Start by taking the classes (you could take a class at Woodcraft, if your parents are ok with that). Then, look for a good used lathe (craigslist??)

Tell us where in California, and there is probably an IAP member near you who may let you learn on their equipment.

CAN you buy blanks, sure. Should you, probably not. Wait until you get started, again you will find "practice blanks" are not hard to come by, here.

So, welcome. Hope these few hints save you some money and yes, there are less expensive fountain pen kits available, once you decide what you are doing.

hiharry626

I just want a fountain pen I could use generally at school... or are FP's not for everyday use? I'm in the San Gabriel area. Thanks! :D Woodcraft? Is that like a workshop or something? I've heard of woodcraft rangers though.

glycerine

Honestly, if you have a small budget, you may want to reconsider this hobby! You can get things cheap, but at the same time, the quality isn't going to be there. You don't just need a lathe, you need turning tools. Then you'll need a grinder or some way to sharpen those tools. You'll need drill bits, bushings, some way to cut your blanks, etc., etc., etc.
As far as lathes, I'd try to find a fellow turner close to you who has one for sale and get a used one. I got a nice turncrafter pro with the extension for $100 used from another IAP member who lives close to me. And as far as turning tools are concerned, you can get cheap chinese steel tools from Harbor Freight for almost nothing, but you'll want better ones once you've got the hang of things and learned what you're doing. And untill you have a way to sharpen your own tools, you can probably find someone to do it for you, but that's if you're not turning a whole lot. If you end up turning for hours on end, then you'll need something of your own so you can sharpen often. You'll want to keep your tools sharp. Another option would be to find some tools that use the carbide inserts. Then you could just replace the blades instead of sharpening, but that may not be any cheaper in the long run...
Anyway, I digress. I can't speak to the rockler lathe, but I have thoroughly enjoyed my turncrafter pro. If you really want to go cheap, you can get a drill press from harbor freight and a drill press lathe attachment from grizzly. I got my drill press at 50% off with a coupon, so I paid about $40 for it and I paid $20 for my attachement. It wasn't the best setup, but it got me up and running and I was able to focus on technique and learn how to turn pens and was able to upgrade my lathe later on down the road.
I'm not trying to steer you away from the hobby, but I'm serious when I say that it takes more money than you realize. I'm 32 and I feel like I can barely afford it!!
But if you are serious about it, then start putting some tools and accessories on your birthday and Christmas wish lists. Start with something affordable and work your way up. If you're going to wait until next year, then you've got time to save up.
Oh, and welcome to the IAP HARRY!!!!!

hiharry626

thanks i understand that this isn't a cheap hobby, my other hobbies aren't that cheap either. haha I'm probably not going to buy a lathe unless I come across a cheap used one. I have no space for my own little workshop just yet. Maybe when i'm older i'll purchase a lathe etc. I'm aware that I require tools etc and thanks for giving me the heads up on the sharpening etc. I plan on turning pens at my schools woodshop, hopefully I can turn some decent looking pens. Maybe sell them to fund my lathe and accessories? Who knows, but i cant wait till next year. thanks again glycerine!

broitblat

Welcome, Harry.

Look for what you can find in terms of blanks, kits, etc. and have fun. Then, remember to show us pictures so we can enjoy your experience vicariously.

-Barry

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Hi Harry,

First and foremost, be a frequent visitor to this site. There is a wealth of information to be gained by some of the nicest people I have ever been associated with.

I suggest you attempt to locate a local American Association of Woodturners (AAW) chapter in your area. Attend their meetings and meet their members. My local AAW chapter has a Young Turners Program which has proven to be very successful. Some chapters have loaner lathes!

Welcome Harry, and don't hesitate to ask questions and chime into the discussions.

Oh, one other thing, I recommend a Sierra (aka Wall Street, Gatsby, and several other names) as your first pen. It's a single barrel twist ballpoint that is fairly easy to turn and makes a nice looking pen.

Last edited:

hiharry626

thanks! the slim line kit is only 3 dollars from what i've heard from friends. so that'll be good practice i guess once i get the hang of it i'll make a sierra ^^

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Welcome Harry, there are several members who will donate starter blanks,you may have to pay shipping and then again you may not. WoodCraft is a retail store that sells many of the things we love. they also have classes to teach people to turn and other wood working skills. You would be well advised to read all of the threads you can find on finishing. You will need to figure out what you want to use as a final finish. You can always build your tools, kits and blanks slowly, working your way into total addiction as you go. Mike

phillywood

Hello, Harry, and welcome. i am excited to see a young man in your age to be interested in an art like this. On the other hands, I have some concerns. First of all, you need to make sure that your parents are aware of your interest in this hobby. Secondly, you father should approve of you handling chemicals that if they are not paid attention to and mishandled they can cause fire hazards as well as some major bodily injury. I like to see you grow and become a fine artist and wood turner. I hate to have you see these threads and get inspired and go try some of the techniques, and should something happens we would feel awful for you trying without any adult supervision. I am not trying to steer you away. On the other hands when you read some of these threads you will notice that some of us have acquired these woodworking tools over period of long time and little by little. Frankly, I think they would be little out of your financial range to acquire some of these tools. I highly advise you that take some of the classes at your local IAP chapters or try to go to their meetings and see if this is something that you would be able to take on.
the other thing is that you really have to have a place and shop that you can work out of, I don't think this hobby can be done on the kitchen table and definitely if you have any younger siblings, you do not want to have them anywhere close to some of tools when they are sharp or the chemicals for finishing.
Best of luck to you, and hope with the help of your parents, I am sure you will make the right decision.

hiharry626

thanks a whole lot guys, i'll be sure to be extra careful when handling the tools and chemicals. My house currently has no room to have my own personal shop so hopefully down the road i'll have my own thanks again guys! this forum is so great :D

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Harry, do you have a fountain pen now. If you don't I could send you an inexpensive fountain pen. Just pm me your address.

renowb

Hi Harry and welcome!
There is a lot of info on here and believe me you need to listen because they know what they are talking about. What you can do is get some catalogs of the many pen making companies, like PSI, Woodcraft, Woodturners Catalog and just browse them. I still do. Sometimes I sneak up on the computer to place an order without my wife knowing.hehe! But she always finds out. Anyway, it is a good hobby but like most can run into money. Just listen to these guys and you will start off right! And, also remember safety rules!

Bill

Wild Turkey

Welcome to the IAP Harry. You will have a lot of years to perfect your pen turning. I started when I was 62 and wish I had started in my younger years. I will never gain the perfection and experience some people have on this site no matter how many pens I make. To start don't buy any blanks, just PM me and I will send you a box with unknown wood blanks to learn on. Might even throw in a cigar kit or two laying around along with other surprises.

el_d

Welcome Harry.
I dont have a dedicated shop but I do lug the lathe out on the porch and turn all day sometimes. A cart may be easier for you. There you go a project before you get the a lathe. I have the rockler special not a bad starter lathe.

Steve Busey

Welcome aboard, Harry - looking forward to what you can do with your youth, creativity and enthusiasm! While the nearest Woodcraft is way down by Anaheim, there's a Rockler store over in Pasadena which is a good source for pen kits and blanks. The folks there can answer some basic questions to help get you started.

phillywood

Harry, I wonder if you've read my post? Do your parent know about your interest in this hobby and they are willing to let you spend the money to buy these stuff and know that you'd be dealing with some chemicals that need responsibility. I am not trying to drive you away, but I'd certainly would want to know what my child in your age would be spending their money on and what they are getting involved in. That's me, I just want you know what you are getting involved in.

hiharry626

Harry, I wonder if you've read my post? Do your parent know about your interest in this hobby and they are willing to let you spend the money to buy these stuff and know that you'd be dealing with some chemicals that need responsibility. I am not trying to drive you away, but I'd certainly would want to know what my child in your age would be spending their money on and what they are getting involved in. That's me, I just want you know what you are getting involved in.

Yes, I've read your post. I don't spend my money on drugs or anything just things a typical teenager would buy(probably not pen blanks though :tongue:). I'm responsible and smart enough to know when to be serious when handling chemicals. I'm going to be extra cautious when handling the sharp tools/chemicals. Thank you so much for your consideration. I'm really going to take this seriously. Better to be spending money on something I enjoy rather than wasting it all on unnecessary things. Of course I'm not going to be spending all my money or an excessive amount on this hobby. I'm going to try to earn a small profit selling pens to my teachers and schoolmates :redface:. My parents are Asian and I don't think they'd mind too much about my hobbies just as long as I don't get hurt :doctor: I have spent a considerable amount on my computer however and they didn't seem to mind, however I'll be sure to mention it though thanks! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

Aerotech

Been doing this for about 4 weeks or so myself and just joined this site two days ago. i've turned 10 pens or so and very much enjoy doing it however i turned them all at a friends house. i decided i wanted to take this on for myself and have spent about $600.00 so far and still need to spend probably about 200 to 300 more. i still dont have a sharpening system for my tools and i need a drill press for the blanks. just for the record i was very modest in what i bought, certainly not top of the line anything. a grizzly lathe, a 5 piece Sorby midi tool set, and different pen kits, glues, polishes, sand paper, micro mesh, a vent hood, safety glasses, respirators, blanks, a clamp to use for a pen press, bushings, drill bits, etc, etc... it just starts to add up. i wish you luck and definetly ask tons of questions here. i wish i had before i bought some of the stuff i did. the guys here definitely know what they are talking about.

dale

Last edited:

austing458

alrighty where to start?...

if you want a lathe check out the one at harbor freight..have a $99- 12" lathe that is perfect for pens! i talked my parents into getting it for me for my 16th birthday last year and it is awesome....

as far as tools go, get their $19.99 8 pc. lathe tool set also, they will need a lot of sharpening but are a steal at that price!

you will need the PSI MT. 1 pen mandrel and a set of extra bushings. also i would recommend a can of Minwax high gloss wipe on polyurethane and the woodcraft turners sanding pack.

some safety glasses and some drill bits.

p.s. the scrap bin at school will give you a lot of practice blanks....

Top Bottom