Sun flower seed blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from John M

John M

I have had this blank for about 4 or 5 years, never wanted to turn it, but I am running out of blanks so I thought I would try it. I dont know if I had some bad luck or if it is the nature of the blank, but it was not a fun blank to turn with my beginner skills. And it seem to dull the heck out of my tools also. And is a bit on the messy side, very dusty. But in the end, I think it was worth it, sorry for my bad picture skills, not good lighting in the house and it is almost 2 am.

Attachments

• CIMG0101.jpg
    CIMG0101.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 223
  • CIMG0102.jpg
    CIMG0102.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 337
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Those blanks are sold as Dakota burl. Fun to turn and unique. I've turned one pen from it and I still use it. It is probably 5 years old and still looks good. It stays on my desk.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the shape you chose but it's your shape and personal choices and tastes are not debatable. Your workmanship, fit and finish appear to be excellent.

I'm also not a fan of using props to support pens. I find they distract from the pen and the pen is what we want to showcase in our pen photos. Again, your pen, your photo and your choice. I hope you accept these comments in the spirit in which they are given. You did a fine job with the pen...if you like it or if your customer likes it.:wink:

Do a good turn daily!
Don

John M

I only used the prop because it was really late and took about 20 pics in my dark house and that was one of the ones that turned out. I am eventually going to get a little station set up where I can have some lights and a little settup. But that is a ways down the road.

I keep trying different shapes for the slims. I like to mix it up, but I dont think I have found the shape that I like best. Some of my older slims had more drastic shapes and get some compliments, but there are a little simpler to polish.

I have turned several pens from Dakota Burl and everything you said is right. But, it does make a cool and unique pen. I have sold many to people that seem to like the "reused" nature of the materials and the fact that you can't tell what it is just by looking at it.

workinforwood

Personally I too can't stand the shape of your pen, but having turned one of those, I can understand why you would want to make it so thick. Mine blew up, and I rarely blow out a pen. Congrats on making a usable pen from that stuff!

JohnU

Nice pen, Its unique stuff, I'll give it that. Ive made a few and always have to coat with several layers of CA while sanding just to get it smooth and fill all those voids in the material. Sold a few because it was sunflower seed shells. I sand most of mine down to the finished shape after I get them close because they are so easy to break or have blowouts.

John M

Man, kind of surprised at the resentment of the shape. Most people that see it and hold it seem to like it. I just like them to have shape, you can buy a slim, straight twist pen anywhere, I like them to be a little different. I made some of these for a woman that had arthritis, it is not the most attractive pen, but she liked it.

Attachments

• CIMG0073.jpg
    CIMG0073.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 107

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I have one of those blanks . . . in a box somewhere. Your pen shows it can be a remarkabley beautiful pen. Nice work. I think I like that shape, too. Don't remember seeing one like that.

Top Bottom