Suggestions needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eskimo

I'm using a Sony DSC-H2, 6 megapixel camera and can get great detail, but I can't seem to capture the chatoyance of the finish or the high gloss. I'm using a photo tent with lighting coming through the sides to eliminate shadows and have the flash off. I have adjusted the brightness to +2.0 and am setting the white balance at that level.

The pen below has an extremely high gloss finish that just doesn't show in the picture, nor does the depth.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

20071223182633_BW%20Ebony%20x-cut2.jpg

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
You need one of two things. Either a third light coming in without filtering so you have something to reflect. That will get you something like this:
2007122318574_IMG_6269.jpg

That is with the same setup as yours plus one light coming in from in front next to the camera.

The other option, if you don't have a third light, is to add some black construction paper inside your tent just in front of one light. You just need a strip or a shape, don't block the whole thing. This will do just the opposite, it will create a dark area on your reflection so that the white light coming through the side will be your highlights.

GK

avbill

As long as you use soft lighting or (diffused lighting) set up for your lighting you will never show the high gloss finish of the pen. The tent is designed to flatten the light. To even the light quality.

Try putting a bare bulb light inside the tent maybe a 25 watt to add parabolic reflection on the high gloss pen Just a little light will add the other dimension what you are searching for.

or have a person hold a flash light pointed at the pen barrel.

Bill Daniiels

Top Bottom