Suggestions for Teacher's Pens???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTurns

About two months ago I turned a dozen teacher's pens, bloodwood for the red tip, mun ebony for the black, variety of light woods in between. They looked great, all pretty and shiny, until every last *&^%$#@ one of the ebony tips split.

Any suggestions for proper finish for ebony to prevent cracking? I used the Myland's finish and carnuba and was happy with the luster.

Alternatively, any suggestions for a dark wood that will give a nice appearance for the black tip? (And yes, I can now disassemble a pen in under 30 seconds!!)

Thanks for looking and any suggestions.
jon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Ebony is notorious for cracking. I'm not using ebony unless it is a special request and the customer is warned about the cracking. I've changed to African Blackwood when a black wood is needed.
Good luck and ...
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by GoodTurns
<br />About two months ago I turned a dozen teacher's pens, bloodwood for the red tip, mun ebony for the black, variety of light woods in between. They looked great, all pretty and shiny, until every last *&^%$#@ one of the ebony tips split.

Any suggestions for proper finish for ebony to prevent cracking? I used the Myland's finish and carnuba and was happy with the luster.

Alternatively, any suggestions for a dark wood that will give a nice appearance for the black tip? (And yes, I can now disassemble a pen in under 30 seconds!!)

Thanks for looking and any suggestions.
jon

GoodTurns

I just received some blackwood blanks and was going to give them a try, wanted some more opinions as to if they would split like the ebony.

Thanks
Jon

leehljp

Member Liaison
I use Japanese persimmon, which is an ebony wood and it cracks too. I made up my mind that I will just have to finish that in two stages; normal finish with CA, sanded and smoothed, but no top wax. Wait a week and add two or three of CA, and add a wax on top. I have discovered that most of my ebony woods form small cracks within two or three days. They are very small and are easily filled with medium and even thin CA. A couple that I have re-finished have not cracked anymore.

As far as using mylands, I am sure that it could offer similar benefits. Just set them aside for a week or two and refinish if a small crack develops. Now if a large crack develops - I don't know.

I love the ebony enough that I will put up with its tendencies and try and work around them. I think I have been lucky so far.

DKF

I have turned 3 pens out of Ebony...2 Cigars, and one European....the 2 Cigars have cracked, and my wife has the European, and so far so good....Nice to hear that African Blackwood is a good substitute.

2rcbruce

When I make the teacher pen I usually use some really bright red padauk and anything dark brown to black on the op. side and usually lacewood in the middle. bruce

mick

Jon as Don has`already said use African Blackwwod for the black end of your teachers pen I've turned several dozen and never had any problem with it ...plus I think you'll really like the look. I use a combo of the blackwood and bloodwood with a yellowheart body ....kinda reminds you of a no. 2 pencil ....lol

I don't have any problems with ebony split and cracking, but so far, haven't gotten a decent finish on one.. like the posts above, I like the African Blackwood better, it takes a really nice finish..

You might also look at one of the Chakate's.. I used a black chakate for an elk bugle that was a really dark brown, almost black.

I've also done the teachers pens with deer antler in the middle for the light and some of the dymondwoods for the colors on the ends.. works well too.

redfishsc

As mentioned above, wenge and blackwood are good choices.

However, I do not apply any finish to blackwood if I can get away with it other than some good carnauba wax (which is all friction polish is, other than shellac additives).
I just micromesh it and wax it, and done.

Wenge is a bit different, not oily like blackwood, but still hard enough to do well without a heavy film finish.

You can also use a sharpie marker to make anything hard like beech, hard maple, or ash turn black, but you HAVE to put a film finish like lacquer over it.

Jerryconn

Originally posted by mick
<br />I almost forgot .....I also use Wenge' for the black end sometimes
Mike,
How does the wenge turn for you? I have had issues with it tearing out along the grain. It is a great looking wood but to be not as easy to turn as blackwood for me. Just curious about your experience

mick

Originally posted by Jerryconn
<br />
Originally posted by mick
<br />I almost forgot .....I also use Wenge' for the black end sometimes
Mike,
How does the wenge turn for you? I have had issues with it tearing out along the grain. It is a great looking wood but to be not as easy to turn as blackwood for me. Just curious about your experience

I've also had it tear out if I don't keep my skew sharp. Just touch it up from time to time and Wenge works out great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom