Suggestion for parting brass tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom Boardman

I am looking for suggestions for a quick and easy method for parting brass tubing with a 11/32" OD and .014" wall. I need the edges to be very square with no burrs since the brass tubing serves as a spacer between 2 high precision bearings. The spacers lengths vary from .5" to 1.5". My lathe is a Grizzly G0602 and have been using a carbide 1/8" P type blade. I am going to try a .04" blade once it arrives.

I have heard some mount a pipe cutting disc on the tool holder, run a steel rod inside the brass tube, and 'pinch' the brass tube off. However, I not sure how the pipe cutting disc is mounted on the tool holder nor do I understand how both the brass rod and steel rod get secured in the head stock.

Regarding burrs, I am currently using steel wool to remove them. Since I have to make a couple dozen of the brass spacers at a time, I am wondering how a vibratory tumbler would do. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

Turn yourself a wooden dowel rod that fits the inside diameter of your tube nice and snug. Chuck that up, three jaw or collet and just use your parting tool to part off the size that you need. The dowel should work as a zero clearance fence would and allow for a smooth cut with minimal burs, and you can cut into it and not do any damage.

Justin

Curly

Tom I believe the parting tool Justin was referring to is a high speed woodworking parting tool. His suggestion is sound and even if all you do is to switch to a high speed steel blade you will likely get better results as they can be ground to a sharper edge. Put a drop or two of cutting oil on the blade tip and brass.

Sylvanite

Cut the tubes a little long, chuck them up on the lathe (preferably with a collet chuck) and face the ends with a scraper. You should wind up without any burrs, but if you do, a quick twist with a chamfer/deburr tool will remove them.

Regards,
Eric

jjudge

I do what Eric does (sort of) -- cut slightly long, clean up on the grinder/sander

But, I take an Xacto knife; place the tube on the workbench; and roll the tube back and forth while pressing the knife in.

There are some Youtube videos that I saw doing that.

plantman

Tom; Go to Harbor Freight Sales on line, or a store near you. They have a very small electric tubing cutter with a built in clamp for holding round or square stock and a sliding miter if you want to cut angles. I use this to cut my brass tubes and wooden blanks. I watched for it on sale and purchased it for under $20. Limit on cut is about 3/4 inch. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom