Suggestion for anti-virus software

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I bought Avasti or something like that. I have tried a dozen or so - paid and free version. I can't rave about any of them.

Jim Smith

I used Norton for years until I had my hard drive replaces about 18 months ago. At that time I switched over to Avast at the recommendation of the shop doing the work. It has been very good so far and even has the ability to offer me a secure line when I am traveling and using hotel internet services. Check out the reviews on Avast and see if will work for you.

Jim Smith

bobleibo

A few years ago I had some major computer problems that were above my pay grade. I went to the Geek Squad at Best Buy. The initial cost was $200 for a year of unlimited help which included Kaspersky. The second year is $100 and so on. They will help you maintain up to (3) computers with unlimited 24/7 phone or carry-in service. Also included any help I might need with my wireless system, streaming TV, home automation, etc.
Money well spent in my opinion. Never had a problem since.

https://www.geeksquad.com/protection-plans/tech-support/#_tab2

GBrackett

As a retired techie I know the risks involved with viruses. I have used the free version of Avast on all my family's computers for the past 3 years with no problems. No need for anything else in my house.

Carl Fisher

I'm partial to Bitdefender after going through most of the other free ones. But there is also Avast, AVG Free, Microsoft Security Essentials and I'm sure a half dozen other free options.

ossaguy

I had problems with Norton not able to do the backup,drove me nuts.No help from them at all when trying to resolve it.

My BIL recommended ESET.and I've had no problems with it.

Steve

mrrichieboy

Have Kaspersky on both my laptop as well as my wife's PC, going on 4 years now. Have never had a problem or issue with Kaspersky, and it has stopped any virus or other bad things from getting into both machines. I used to have Norton and later McAfee and did not like either one of them from the beginning.---Rich

designer

I have Eset on my pc and it is and has worked great for me. Low overhead use even on the old computer. No virus infections with it at all over the years.

I had gotten a nasty root kit virus on my laptop, and after trying all the big brand programs, I got SuperAntiSpyware. It was the only antivirus program that could remove it. Since then it is the only anti virus program I run on it. Never had one since either.

When I get a new pc it will be hard to decide which to put on it. Both work great and are IMHO much better than any of the others without bogging the pc down.

monophoto

The products recommended by Best Buy are the products they make the most money selling. Don't take their recommendations as absolute reflections of product quality.

I've used Norton for years and have been very pleased with it.

Kaspersky is reported to be an excellent anti-virus program. Last weekend, my wife had to have her computer sanitized, and upgraded to Kaspersky. So far, so good.

Ten years ago, McAfee was supposedly about equal to Norton. Since then, it has fallen into obscurity (and is offered as a unwanted download every time you update Adobe Flash). I would stay away from it.

My wife used Trend Micro for a number of years (because that's what Best Buy automatically installed on every computer they sold the year she bought her laptop). It seemed to work OK, but we did have fairly regular problems with it. I must have spent eight or ten hours on the phone with their technicians addressing installation problems, renewal problems, and problems with virus that it didn't recognize. We finally abandoned it in favor of Kaspersky.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Another vote for Eset NOD32 here. Been running it for many years and have never had a virus get through. It just works and does not bug me. It stays silent in the background unless it finds something. I never even know it is running. All of my computers have it and I would not consider anything else.

smik

I run trading software on my system and have used Norton for over 10 yrs with no issues. I usually buy online and look for download versions.

Top Bottom