Suggestion for a first foot.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from el_d

el_d

This is my first turned project other than a pen. I kinda like turning them. Used my Woodchuck. and finished with CA (that's a familiar finish for me so I figured why not). I turned the bottom of the bowl and got aggressive with the foot. Didn't even think about it till it was this small.

Chucked it up and started hollowing it out. Finished the inside and sanded. I left a matte finish on the inside with a Lacquer and started to sand the outside. After getting it nice and smooth I saw the CA and wanted to try.

I got so caught up on the top/outside that I totally forgot the bottom. :redface:

I was looking for advice on the profile of the foot. Should I leave it or cut it off????? Suggestions???

Attachments

• MesqBowlresiz.jpg
    MesqBowlresiz.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 221
  • MesqBowlproresized.jpg
    MesqBowlproresized.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 229
  • MesqBowlbotresize.jpg
    MesqBowlbotresize.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 197
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimm1

I would spin something of contrasting wood and use the outside of the jaw chuck to turn it. This way the bottom bowl "tenon" can fit inside the mortise of the new bottom piece. Nice looking bowl though.

Mac

Well its not finished is it. So far, real good. Since you used a tenon to hold the blank you can just reverse mount the piece and use a parting tool to cut at a slight(not much) angle to remove, so that the outside edge is what comes in contact with the table etc. concaved sorta. This would also be easy to sand. This also could be done with your carbide tool, used the same as you would if you were parting the bottom off.

bensoelberg

I agree with Mac and Jim, I would definitely get rid of or hide the foot. The finish on the outside looks amazing, great job! How much CA did you use and what are the overall dimensions?

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I concur with the other folks. For the profile of this bowl, that foot just doesn't work.

Either a large slight concave bottom effect like Mac suggests, or if you have enough wall thickness on the bottom form a bead that has a diameter just inside where the sides transition to the flat bottom (imagine a half profile wooden o-ring as the foot).

This second option would require either altering the profile near the bottom or the addition of a another piece of wood like Jim suggested.

A variant on Jims suggestion would be to turn off the foot entirely, cut a groove on the bottom and turn a contrasting wood hoop that would fit in the groove (this assumes that you have enough wood on the bottom to pull this off.)

el_d

Thanks for the input.

The bowl was started with a 4x4x2 block of Black Mesquite from Woodcraft. Its got about 3 layers of med CA with the usual sanding.
I like the concave bottom idea but the contrasting wood may be the way to go. try to add a base.....

moyehow

Love the finish. Turn or saw the bottom off. Did I say I like the finish. What did you apply the ca glue with, was the lathe running, what did you sand the CA with, What did you sand it down to before the CA was applied? I would like to know more about the CA finish. PLEASE!?

el_d

Love the finish. Turn or saw the bottom off. Did I say I like the finish. What did you apply the ca glue with, was the lathe running, what did you sand the CA with, What did you sand it down to before the CA was applied? I would like to know more about the CA finish. PLEASE!?

Im not sure exactly what the speed was but it was the slowest it a Delta46-460 would go.

After I got the shape I used 240 and 320 to get it sanded down. I stoped the lathe to sand in the "grian orrientation". Started the lathe at the slowest speed and applied 3 coats of medium CA with my finger. Pushing it down the sides. once fully covered I stopped the lathe and turned it by hand every few seconds till dry so the CA wouldnt sag.

After CA was dry I used a sanding sponge my wife had. She uses them when she does nails. Its called a polar block. I suppose any sanding sponge would work but thats what I had on hand. I ussually use 320 automotive sandpaper on a block but that wasnt going to work with the curvature of the bowl.

Then the usual 320,400,600,800,1200(sanding sponges from woodcraft), Wenol metal polih-applied with my fingers, and Mcguires Automotive polish.

I should have hit it with BLO to bring out the grain more but got exited and started the CA finish before I remembered.

Attachments

• polar block.jpg
    polar block.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 105
  • wenol.jpg
    wenol.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

David Keller

Lupe, that's awesome! I won't ask why a guy from Texas is buying mesquite at Woodcraft 'cause I already know the answer. I'd lose the foot and go for the slight concave the others have suggested, but I generally avoid feet on things that I turn. It's all a matter of taste. You've got to get rid of that foot 'cause it's got a hole in the middle of it!

You're a natural! I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Fred

Lose that foot ... go with the concave as suggested and finish the bottom to match the sides. Go and visit Curtis, don't let the opportunity get past you!

Top Bottom