Successful failures with Polymer Clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brian G

Brian G

My attempts at making a fancy polymer clay blank for the BASH Blank Contest didn't go so well. So I did what any sensible man with fingers that have the dexterity of bratwurst would do. I tossed the fragments and pieces into a pile, mooshed them together, flattened them, and stuck them to tubes. They look like Barney, Grimace, a gang of Smurfs, mercury, and a handful of blueberries in a smoothie.

Not too bad, but I have a lot to learn.

PolymerClayGroup2.jpg

The Chrome and Black Titanium Long Clickers flank two Classic Nib Arrows. The Arrow on the left has the blank I entered. I re-finished and polished it. The Arrow on the right is my favorite. The Manhattan in the middle has what I'm calling "The Midnight Abyss." I'll spend the rest of my life trying to replicate it without success.

I sanded (gently!) through 2000 grit, then polished, then applied CA as a top coat, then sanded the CA through 12,000 MM and a final polish with Polar Shine. Probably more work than necessary, but that's learning!

Here's a second photo. Something about the pearlescence makes them look spotted in photos. In real life, they don't look that way.

PolymerClayGroup1.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Most Attractive Pens, Brian.
Your story reminded me that "Post It" adhesive was an error, it wouldn't stick firmly. But it made 3M a fortune.
Your Blanks having a similar birth, hopefully will do much the same for you.
Great Recovery, they look Fantastic.
I should make my mistakes just like them.
Brian.

plantman

Very nice Brian !! One thing I found out about working with Polymer Clay, you never make mistakes, you just widen your exceptional natural capacity of intellect !! Or, creative genius as some call it. They all look like mosaic art pieces to me. Jim S

Top Bottom