Stupid question about PMs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

OK so this is silly but I have always wondered about where to write my response when replying to PMs. Do you put your reply before or after the quoted PM that you are replying to?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I tend to write it at the top of the page, I see it as if was and email, the oldest text is always underneath of the latest text however, I use both ways, it depends sometimes at the way the person I'm communicating with, position the replies, I tend to follow that, just for some "order" of what has been said from both ends...!

I don't really think that it matter, that much but, I may be wrong and that wouldn't be the first time...!

Cheers
George

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
OK so this is silly but I have always wondered about where to write my response when replying to PMs. Do you put your reply before or after the quoted PM that you are replying to?
Which ever churns your butter. I get lots of PM responses in either place. I think the test is this....I have never told anyone, or had anyone tell me that the response should have been in the other place. Has anyone?

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Google "top posting" and you'll see the decades of controversy over whether top or bottom posting is better. In the "old days", top posting was considered huge breach of common sense and posting etiquette. I can remember usenet news groups 25 years ago going berserk when someone was top posting.

In email these days, top posting is the norm. At least that's where most email clients leave the cursor when you reply.

jsolie

Google "top posting" and you'll see the decades of controversy over whether top or bottom posting is better. In the "old days", top posting was considered huge breach of common sense and posting etiquette. I can remember usenet news groups 25 years ago going berserk when someone was top posting.

What about middle posting? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

In email these days, top posting is the norm. At least that's where most email clients leave the cursor when you reply.

JD Combs Sr

I don't do it 100% but generally I top post PM's and bottom post thread quoted posts. No particular reason except that is the way I started.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I don't do it 100% but generally I top post PM's and bottom post thread quoted posts. No particular reason except that is the way I started.
Normally on PMs I will follow the other person. If they reply to one of my PMs top posting and I reply to that I'll also top post and will follow them if they bottom post. If I reply to someone's PM I will usually top post.

Mr Vic

Most important is that you reply or at least acknowledge receipt...If there are multiple topics or questions I insert replies after each... Q&A... Q&A

randyrls

One other thing is to "trim" a lengthy PM so it is concise and contains enough information to keep the conversation flowing, but not so wordy that the track is lost.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I think I always bottom post on threads except on some rare occasions when I respond to more than one comment in the same thread response.

Top Bottom