Stupid question #1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I know a lot of stupid questions will come from me, so here's one to kick it off with. :)

Can you glue cut offs from AA blanks together with CA glue?
Like if I have 2 or 3 small pieces leftover from making pens, can I glue them together to make a really crazy blank?
Or will CA glue hold it together?
Is epoxy better?

Has anyone done it before?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Not a dumb question at all. The answer is Yes, CA will work, but epoxy is better. Epoxy has better shear strength.

KenV

Herb

Likely you will need to do a bit of surface prep before gluing the pieces. You can also saw/mill them into different shapes before adding adhesive.

robertkulp

Not a dumb question at all. The answer is Yes, CA will work, but epoxy is better. Epoxy has better shear strength.

Yes, epoxy's shear strength is much better than CA's, but once it's tubed, it's a moot point. If there's enough shear force to tear up a tubed blank or a finished pen, it's going to be destroyed anyway.

jttheclockman

Yes, epoxy's shear strength is much better than CA's, but once it's tubed, it's a moot point. If there's enough shear force to tear up a tubed blank or a finished pen, it's going to be destroyed anyway.

I think the point here is when drilling. :)

PapaTim

Sorry Herb, you'll have to do better if your goal is to ask a truly stupid question. Try something like "which end of the gouge do you use on the wood" or "should I plug my lathe in and turn it on or just rotate the mandrel by hand?". Those might be worthy. Saying you're going to ask a stupid question, then asking a good question instead, is like bait and switch, it's just not fair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom