stuck tube in blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

Try drilling it out, tear off the part that is sticking out and go in from the other end. Yo will need another tube.

jimdude

Wow. Hadn't thought of that. I usually sacrifice the blank for the tube. Now I have a protocol for fixing stuck tube. It would have been sad if I had a really good blank. Thanks guys.

jmm666

If you have a good smooth surface on the "oops" blank, take a piece of contrasting wood and glue it onto the exposed tube and you have a segmented pen.
It will look like you planned it and no one will know it was a mistake, except you and of course, us.

alparent

CA is not that stong. I have a set of center punches I use to desasemble pens. Most of the time I'm able to press the tubes out in my vise. (I use a punch that fits snug in the blank.) But 3/4 is alot of tube!?

tomas

Cutting off the part of the tube sticking out and gluing it in the other end leaves a barrel with a weak point . Did that once . One drop and I had a 3 piece PR pen .

That's what is known as an undocumented design feature.:biggrin:
Tomas

jmm666

If you have a clean smooth surface on your "oops" blank, you can take a piece of contrasting wood and glue it on to the protruding tube. Then, you'll have a segmented pen and it will look like you planned it. No one will know it was an "oops" except you and us of course.
If you don't have a good enough surface, just put it on the lathe and part off a hair down to the tube. Then glue on the extra piece.

SatelliteCity

You can also use a heat gun to weaken the ca glue and get out the tube. Most CA glues start weakening considerably at about 180° F and melt at around 330° F. This assumes that the heat will not damage your blank.

Top Bottom