Streamlines for beginners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCR0LL3R

I've been turning for a few months now, I've had some ups and downs along the way but overall I love making pens. I haven't tried much of anything else on my lathe because the pens are so much fun.

When I started out, like most people, I bought a bunch of slimlines. I fought with them, got annoyed at times, but they served their purpose I guess. Since then I have made about 120 pens or so and kept making slims to have a slender pen to offer. Even with more practice they were still hard to get a nice fit around the center band. Recently I decided, "I'm not going to make 'em anymore". They don't sell for enough and they just aren't fun to make. So I bought some stremlines to replace them...

Wow! What a difference! They are so much easier to get a nice fit in the center. I think these should be #1 recommended for new turners. They look so nice, they're quite cheap and they're the easiest ever to make.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Link for suppliers?

Nearly every supplier has a "streamline" kind of pen. Some folks call them "comforts" they come with a rubber grip to put near the point. Just throw those away and turn as usual. Some folks call them by other names.

Here is how you know what they are. If the drill bit is 7mm. If it is two EQUAL length barrels. If the instructions encourage you to make two barrels that are basically the same with one end being larger than the other on both barrels, and the point and the finial are the same size and the middle part on both barrels are the same size, THEN you know, that this pen is a streamline or one of the MANY different machinations there of.

Another way to modify a slim, other than the way Allen does is to lose the CB all together and make the lower barrel (the one with the point) slimmer than the upper barrel. And then taper it back to the finial. Like this (better picture... http://www.pensbyhans.com/slimcoral.jpg )
slimcoralsm.jpg

Drstrangefart

Link for suppliers?

Nearly every supplier has a "streamline" kind of pen. Some folks call them "comforts" they come with a rubber grip to put near the point. Just throw those away and turn as usual. Some folks call them by other names.

Here is how you know what they are. If the drill bit is 7mm. If it is two EQUAL length barrels. If the instructions encourage you to make two barrels that are basically the same with one end being larger than the other on both barrels, and the point and the finial are the same size and the middle part on both barrels are the same size, THEN you know, that this pen is a streamline or one of the MANY different machinations there of.

Another way to modify a slim, other than the way Allen does is to lose the CB all together and make the lower barrel (the one with the point) slimmer than the upper barrel. And then taper it back to the finial. Like this (better picture... http://www.pensbyhans.com/slimcoral.jpg )
slimcoralsm.jpg

Those Slims ALWAYS get my attention. I need to see just how one is done at some point. I do wanna make my own.

bensoelberg

Yes. Russ later went on to make pens that had a small tenon turned on the lower barrel that fit into a small recess in the upper barrel so that there wouldn't be any visible gap, but if you have a good method for squaring your blanks, it's not absolutely necessary. It you do want to make a recess however, just choose a drillbit that is slightly bigger than your 7mm, cut the upper barrel about 1/8th to 3/16th longer than the tube and drill out a small recess on that end. Then turn the centerband side on the front barrel thin enough to fit inside.

JimB

I have also found the Comfort/Streamline pens sell better than Slimlines. Many people just like the slightly thicker design and the small amount of extra weight.

Rick P

First let me preface this with I do not like slims! However I have found them very easy to modify and play with. Once you loose the center band and learn to turn closed ended the sky's the limit on design.......nothing says ya have to use bushings, stick with a set diameter or even a set shape. I have an order for a higher end slim I'll have to post when it is finished.

PS of all the slim style pens the streamline or comfort-line is probably my favorite.

Drstrangefart

First let me preface this with I do not like slims! However I have found them very easy to modify and play with. Once you loose the center band and learn to turn closed ended the sky's the limit on design.......nothing says ya have to use bushings, stick with a set diameter or even a set shape. I have an order for a higher end slim I'll have to post when it is finished.

PS of all the slim style pens the streamline or comfort-line is probably my favorite.

The Slimline is easy to modify indeed. The Streamlines usually get the most attention. Hence, I turn most of my Slims to Streamline or Bullet thickness and make my own CB.

firewhatfire

here is my latest slim. I left out the centerband and cut the decorative lines with a skew. Kinda of made a mini-euro from deer horn. just giving another look
001.jpg

002.jpg

its_virgil

They've been written and published. I just need to get them to pdf;s and on the site.:biggrin::biggrin:
But, you're correct....busy.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I hear there will be some new articles added in the near future.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I wouldn't count on it!
That RedRiver pen guy has been WAY too busy lately! :):wink::biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Almost

Link for suppliers?

slimcoralsm.jpg

Those Slims ALWAYS get my attention. I need to see just how one is done at some point. I do wanna make my own.

Steamlines have a wider centerband than comforts and don't come with the neoprene grip.

Top Bottom