Storage?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

So, do you have individual tubs/boxes/bins/buckets/etc...... for every type of pen blank, or do you just label the blanks somehow and throw them in one big container?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I have a plastic shoe box that I purchased from Target or somewhere like that. I keep one type of kit in each box and have them labeled. Im sure there is a better way, it's just the way I do it.

TomW

Number the blanks consecutively regardless of type. Put in boxes with groups of numbers (1-200, 201-400 etc). Put blank type and number in excel. Search excel for the blank type, read the number and go directly to the right box...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Tell me too!!!!

If you get a good answer that looks like it will work....let me in on the secret. I have been thinking about bins but they aren't big enough. Right now I use USPS medium and small flat rate boxes but they don't work all that well either....Problem is of course there are just too many colors and species and varieties of acrylics and plastics. to try to keep track of. I must have 50 species of wood and I've only been getting identified species for about a year and a half.

aggromere

I thought he was talking about pen kits. I built some shelve inserts for the cabinets in my workshop to make various size areas. I keep all the blanks of one or similiar types in each section. Like a big area for amboyna burl, Brown Mallee burl and Walnut burl (those are the ones I use the most of). Others I put in smaller areas. Then I have a bunch of blanks I will never use and they are in storage bins in the lower cabinets.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
For the blanks Im working with I use this
blanks1.jpg

its 49 inches wide and 13 inches tall each opening is 5inches wide and 6inches tall. it will hold a minimum of 540 1in sq blanks. THe rest have to wait in tubs. I have a small selection of pr blanks I keep in small flatrate boxes stored in a large flatrate box on end so that i can see the blanks when I want to choose one of them.

My not yet cut up for blanks wood is stored every where:biggrin::biggrin:

MatthewZS

Number the blanks consecutively regardless of type. Put in boxes with groups of numbers (1-200, 201-400 etc). Put blank type and number in excel. Search excel for the blank type, read the number and go directly to the right box...

Virtual blank management. I like it. Now I still have the problem of needing to find the perfect bottomless storage bins.

Reminds me of working in Home Depot a few years ago.... one customer wanted us to move all the stuff she needed up by the front door:)

Top Bottom