Still working on proportions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

So I got the bright idea of printing a picture of a $2000 Japanese fountain pen and using it to develop the right proportions for my latest kitless attempt. I assumed the section would be the same size as the one made for my nib and scaled the other pieces based on the section ratio. I ended up with a beautifully proportioned pen but there was one catch it's oversized, about 3/4" too long. I like the feel of it but it is a little awkward to carry.

IMG_1997.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penultimate

It looks nice to me.

If you would like to measure proportions of manufactured pens how about buying a cheap vintage pen off a site like Fountain Pen Geeks? Sometimes there are pens for between $20 and 40. I was going to do it until I was rummaging through his stuff and I found an Esterbrook SJ, a 1934 Parker Vacumatic and a Shaeffer dollar pen. I'm going to use them as models for my next pens.

I have a pen half finished that I based on a Shaeffer calligraphy pen from the '80's. The design has given me confidence that my other kitless pens were pretty close proportionally.

Good luck
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Penultimate

Hey Mike,

Who's stuff were you rummaging through. I would like to rummage through it also.

Hi Greg
Sorry for the confusion. I was going thru some of my recently passed Father. It is amazing what you will find. I wish we had time to go thru some of this stuff together.

The 1934 Vacumatic is engraved with my great uncle's name. It is a cool piece of the past.

Cwalker935

Hey Mike,

Who's stuff were you rummaging through. I would like to rummage through it also.

Hi Greg
Sorry for the confusion. I was going thru some of my recently passed Father. It is amazing what you will find. I wish we had time to go thru some of this stuff together.

The 1934 Vacumatic is engraved with my great uncle's name. It is a cool piece of the past.

Pictures please.

Top Bottom