Still alive and turning *proof*

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from airrat

airrat

I don't know if my pens rank up there with you all anymore. I do not get the time to spend in the shop with them as much right now. Especially when it is 110+ in there. I just finished up some rather nice orders on the sandblasting. The last one being 140 sandstone coasters for a company that is taking them around the world as gifts. When the boss gets back he is going to buy a pen for himself.

Back to the pens.

First is one of Jeff Powell's scroll work resin blanks with my own twist into it. It took me a little while to find the right one to fit and then setting up everything on the lathe to drill it. By then I was tired and scared so I went to bed and drilled it the next morning. I set the ruby in and it fit nicely. I wanted some of the white left around it for the white of the eye (maybe a little more/maybe not??).

The second one is one of Ken's laser kits. I inlayed a cubic zirconia in the kokopelli for the eye.

I am working on a few other laser kits. Some will have inlays in them since I have it set up and the gems out of the safe. Then back to the sandstone for the next artshows. LOL

On a side note for those of you that remember my Southwest airlines pen (look in my album) some Jerk stole it off my workstation at the airport. I can say I know the passengers name (he went to Kansas City) but I couldn't accuse him for fear of losing my job. So if anyone see's it anywhere online, that pen was never given out/sold/traded/ nothing...it was stolen. and I miss it. The only difference from the picture is I changed the cigar kit to one similar to the one used in this thread. (Gold though)

Edited I would have zoomed in more on the pens to show the gems but its a new camera and I don't know it yet. Sorry.

Attachments

• Ice Ruby Pen 00.jpg
    Ice Ruby Pen 00.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 375
  • Kokopelli 07.jpg
    Kokopelli 07.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well you certainly haven't lost your touch !! But using Jeff's and Ken's blanks help. :biggrin:

I really love the mod you did to the dragon eye !! I still have a few similar dragon blanks in my stash and might just follow your lead.:biggrin:

alamocdc

Hey, Tom. Good to see something from you... at least you weren't absent as long as me. :redface: The jeweled eyes is a cool idea. They both look great! Sorry to hear about the absconded pen. I know the feeling, and it sucks.

"Jerk" was too nice, but I understand since this is a family site. :wink: You'll make yourself another favorite in time (at least I always do) and the scumbag will get his reward.

airrat

Alright Landon I will sign up for it. someone email me though so I dont miss the pairings LOL. I have some art shows I am gearing up for. I will start thinking of a pen tomorrow.

Thanks for all the great comments, its been fun turning these and doing the inlays. Just did the golf laser kit. It didn't glue all the way down. I did a rescue on it. Took out the sand pit and filled it with a "whitish" glitter and inlaid a 2mm cubic zirconia with platinum in the green as a golf ball. But there are splits in the bottom piece where I had to fix it.

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Alright Landon I will sign up for it. someone email me though so I dont miss the pairings LOL. I have some art shows I am gearing up for. I will start thinking of a pen tomorrow.

Thanks for all the great comments, its been fun turning these and doing the inlays. Just did the golf laser kit. It didn't glue all the way down. I did a rescue on it. Took out the sand pit and filled it with a "whitish" glitter and inlaid a 2mm cubic zirconia with platinum in the green as a golf ball. But there are splits in the bottom piece where I had to fix it.
Your partner should message you, I will try to remember to as well. :wink:

Last edited:
Looking Good, some of us Old Timers from the mid 2000's are not posting as much, but it's great to see names of those we all started posting with here on IAP.

I too don't post as much, but do turn, mostly the pens you see on line, some of the new turners are making amazing pens, I enjoy our community still and thank all for the wonderful support they provide here on IAP.

Great looking pens by the way, always a wow moment when done, eh!

Top Bottom