Stick Fast CA "Broken Glass Look"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobs pens 1

Satellite City Super T Instant CA Glue, Med, 2 Ounces

I also use the Same Can as you posted and the Satellite City Super T Instant Glue in Med.

My son has been using it for years and likes it.

I just finished two blanks I let them dry overnight about 10 hours. I wet sanded them and I have mixed feelings about it. I see some scratches in the final product. I used a 600 grit on it first wet then went with the pads all with water. Then a polish. It has a nice shine but I have done better.

Here is a good question. When you start to sand your blank down what grit do you start with?

What speed to you put your lathe on?

When you go to your pads do you use all of them? How fast of speed and for how many seconds per pad.

These are things that go through my mind when I am doing it.

Excellent thread and great advice as usual. Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

I tried accelerator for a while and didn't like the results I got so gave up. I now do my finishing in the evening. My shop is in the basement next to the tv room. I put on a coat of medium CA go watch tv till the next commercial go back and put on another.
For those wondering how long the CA finish lasts, my daily carry is a Black Ti. Fishers of Men pen about 4 years old. The finish on the wood is like it came off the lathe when I made it. The finish on the metal parts is wearing off.

bobs pens 1

That's a great idea. When I watch my favorite TV shows like tonight on CBS I can put the CA Glue on during commercials thanks for the tip.

Sylvanite

Well, I'm hesitant to blame Stick-Fast brand CA or Accelerator. I've only used E-Z Bond brand, and the same thing just happened to me.

I made this pen last summer as a demonstration of how to do "Eagle Feathers" for the local IAP chapter. I know it hasn't been dropped or left in the sun because I've kept it in a pen binder indoors. About a week ago, I took it out and saw this:

attachment.php

Six months later, the finish has shattered like safety glass.

I don't know why it happened. I suspect that the problem was caused by movement of the wood (although you'd think that the maple would be pretty stable). The finish is cracked around all the blackwood inlays as well. I have many other pens, however, that were exposed to the same temperatures without issue. The finish is fairly thick, so that may have contributed to the fractures.

I might consider going back to using BLO, as that might make the CA more flexible. A thinner finish might also be less brittle.

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• FracturedCAFinish.jpg
    FracturedCAFinish.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 312

Dave Turner

+1 on the Satellite City accelerator spray can and their Super T Medium CA. I've used these for several years and have never had a problem with clouding or cracking. I tried using a less costly accelerator from a pump bottle - what a catastrophe. Other brands of CA don't seem to work as well for me either.

I've tried using thin CA, but it just doesn't give me the "depth" that I'm after. With the medium CA, I definitely need accelerator, otherwise I'd be waiting at least 30 to 60 seconds between coats, and I put on 12 coats. With the accelerator, I can go immediately to the next coat after a quick spray. I use about 200 rpm for CA application.

I often sand the blanks within 10 or 15 minutes of CA application. I start with 320 grit to quickly knock off the ripples-ridges left by the paper towel application of the CA. (I never thought much about sandpaper brands until I tried Norton 3X. It makes sanding fun - I even like it better than Abranet.) You've got to use a light touch with the 320, especially towards the ends. I sand at 300 to 400 rpm and always end each grit by sanding along the axis with the lathe off. I then sand with 400 and 600 grits before moving on to wet sanding with MicroMesh pads.

Top Bottom