Stepping Up from Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazmonro

Ok guys, I want to switch it up and start doing something a bit more than just the average slim line. I have a 7mm bit and mandrel, where do I go from here? Slim line is cool, but I want to do something a bit nicer. I have a coworker who has a Mont Blonk (spelling?) pen and anyway, I'd like to eventually do something that would blow his mind, but I'm sure thats years off. Suggestions? All I need is a set of bushings to start turning european pens right?

Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
You can do a lot with a slim line ,don't cut it short.
At the DC Pen show I saw a slimline pool cue pen made by the Gisis that sold for over $100.00
In the picture below the top pen is a "lowly slimline stock "kit"
It isn't necessarily the the fittings that make a pen that is "a bit nicer"[:D]
The Euro is just a slimline with a "hat and a belt"

200611814577_longwood%20slimlineand%20Parker.jpg
<br />

Jerryconn

Euros are fun but some require a tenon by cut, not a big deal just have to measure as you go. A Cigar is another fairly easy kit IMHO and so is a baron. With the baron you do have follow the directions closely to avoid ommitting parts [:I] DAMHIKT.

If you don't want to buy another drill bit I would say go with the 7mm Euro. It uses a Cross style refill. If you get your bushing kit from Woodcraft it comes with a ring that makes it easy to cut/size the tenon.

Other than that you may want to try the Patriot/Atlas or the Sierra. Both are easy to do, look good, and use the Parker style refill.

If you are ready to move into rollerballs or fountain pens you may want to give the Barron or Junior Gent. a look.

kent4Him

I agree with the Euro and a natural progression. Other 7mm kits are the KC Twist and Father Sing. Basically slimlines with wider sections. If you don't mind buying other drill bits, the Americana and Cigar's are good.

Skye

It's just a slimline with a fatter centerband more or less.

Just check out Russ Fairfield's Fatline pen and you can also check out my recent photos as well as many other's modified slims.

gerryr

The problem with 7mm Euros is that they still use the same cheesy transmission as a slimline. The cigar has a near bullet-proof Parker transmission and you can do a lot with it, just like a slimline.

chazmonro

If I do upgrade to start doing 10mm pens, where can I get a mandrel for a shopsmith? I didn't see any 10mm mandrel's on penn state. I usually get stuff from woodturningz.com, but I didn't see mandrels on their site.

Chuck

fiferb

The bushings for a cigar pen will fit on the same mandrel you use for the slimline. They have a step in them to make the transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom