steel for coving and pyramid tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Since our Woodcraft closed, I've had to find an alternative weekend spot. So far it's Harbor Freight. Last weekend I spied this punch set and picked one up. Ground one into an 5/32" coving tool and a 5/16" pyramid tool. They seemed to take a while to grind, so they feel pretty hard. Shouldn't be too hard since they are made to strike. They are made in India, and the longer punches are 8" long and have 3 1/2" of "cutter" length. With the round handles on the long punches, you could easily put them in a wood handle. The mildly bad news for me is that they are $9.99 on the web site, I paid $13 after a coupon I had. So you can get 5 longer tools and 8 shorties for $10 plus shipping. Kinda tickled.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93460

KenV

Those are carbon steel tooling and should work find as long as you do not get them hot, and are willing to hone the edges to keep them sharp. For light duty, they should last and last and last,

Most of the problems with high carbon steel is in the grinding (getting the steel hot and losing the hardness - "bluing the steel")-- but you can always re-harden and temper them with a propane torch and the kitchen oven. (And a little peanut oil).

Top Bottom