Static

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rockytime

Rockytime

I hope this is the correct place to post this because the other thing I make is chips and strings. I have no problems turning acrylic blanks for pens. Pens are small and the stringy thingy things are easily cleaned up. I am turning a handle for an ice cream scoop. Takes longer to clean up than to turn. Is there anything that will alleviate static? Ionizing the air, static mat or other? My next handle will be wood. I used acrylic because the scoop will be dishwasher safe.

Attachments

• 20150719_163748.jpg
    20150719_163748.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 303
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Been there! After turning 20 pens, it gets even deeper. My wife urged me to spend some extra money and move to a maker space, instead of working in our garage and tracking in all of those strings.

SteveG

My personal experience using a dust collector is that nearly ALL of that stuff coating you lathe and work area will disappear into the collector, leaving very little to clean up.

Here is the secret: Find, then memorize the location of the "ON/OFF Switch" for the dust collector. Then be sure to put that switch to the "ON" position for all turning adventures, including acrylic.

That way, if there is static, it also is collected, and POW!!...problem resolved.:biggrin:

Rockytime

Don't I see a dust collector tube behind? I find even on bigger stuff, if that's positioned well the collector sucks up 99% of the mess.

Yes, I have a dust collector. Perhaps I need to ground it. However, no matter how I position the intake the chips fly to the sides or towards me. My collector is a HF unit with only the lathe connected. It seems to have a very strong vacuum. I think I will have to review how the intake is oriented. Perhaps a larger intake shroud. Humidity seems to be OK with all the rain we have had. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

KenV

Dryer sheets are good at counter acting static cling. Wiping down with dryer sheets can help some. Swifter dusters also help --

Nothing is magic with static charges.

SteveG

Maybe I can be a bit more helpful, going beyond my semi-snarky previous post. You mentioned and I agree with adding a shroud. You may want to design a way to make the mounting easily adjustable. I have mine set up so it can shift left-right, up-down, and also piviot up-down with no tools needed to adjust. I also cut the shape and size of the shroud to just fit for my needs. So I can just reach over and adjust to optimum, be it wood or those stringy-thingy things. I pull it up toward the work as the lathe is turning, and if it touches (makes noise!), back it off a tiny amount. With it close to the work, very little is missed, which is good, 'cause the dust collector is a very hungry beast!!:eek:
You get the idea.

Happy stringy-thingy free turning!

mecompco

I wonder if a ground wire would help? After I affixed a ceramic plate to the back plate of my belt grinder I would get a nasty static shock when grinding steel. I took a computer cord, attached the ground wire to the grinder and plugged it in to an outlet--static problem solved.

Regards,
Michael

Rockytime

I wonder if a ground wire would help? After I affixed a ceramic plate to the back plate of my belt grinder I would get a nasty static shock when grinding steel. I took a computer cord, attached the ground wire to the grinder and plugged it in to an outlet--static problem solved.

Regards,
Michael

That is what will hapen tomorrow.

ctubbs

A couple of tutorials from the library that may come in helpful. Hope these help with the stringy-thingy-things.

penturners.org/library/tools_and_jigs/HF_Dust_Collector_Mods.pdf
penturners.org/library/tools_and_jigs/dust_collection.pdf

Charles

Ed Brown did a tutorial at the first MPG meeting a few years back... he keeps a wire brush handy to brush away the strings... I've taken to doing the same... gets them off the tube and out of the way quickly... as for the clean up afterwards, about all I've ever found to work is a good shop vacuum. I have a dust collector set up on both my lathes, but it really only gets a small portion of the chips...

Top Bottom