Statesman Gap in cap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

txcwboy

I dont normally use both the black nylon inserts for the Statesman cap (I dont use the one that goes in first normally) and I used both this time . Now I have a 1/32 or so gap. It will not go any futher. I have pushed and pushed with my Quick grip to no avail.Now I have a tiny crack in the top also :(

Any ideas ?

Dave

Im resting from trying for 5 min right now :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Disassemble and repair crack. Check for glue inside the tube. Also check the fittings for epoxy residue. I've noticed it on several gents/states and scrape it off before assembly. Oh, and check the length of the tube. Maybe it is too short? If it's none of these, then perhaps the end was not milled square.

Ron Mc

Take a large punch and place against the liner, hold the cap and hit 5 times, then turn the cap 180 degrees and do again. Repeat the process until it comes out.

tone

I've had it happen with an Emperor Jr. When squaring the blanks, took too much off and the tube wound up too short. It dosen't take much.

skibrow

One other thing to note is that sometimes while pushing the plastic tubes in they tend to scrape against the brass tube and create a small curl of plastic like you would get from a drill bit. Once you get the cap pressed down to where the metal starts you need to clean that off or a small piece of it can get trapped on one side and prevent the cap from being fully pressed on. At the point you are at try running a razor blade around it inside the gap andd see if it is indeed some of the plastic stuck in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom