Starting out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitchlock

Well I think I have read every post on here. Great info (and a little overwhelming). I just wanted to get the opinion from the pros. For someone starting out, I am looking at getting the PSI Turncrafter pro starter kit. Its advertised in the catalog for 229.95. Is this a good start? What else would you add? I really like the JET lathe but I cant put together a beginner setup with out going over my start up funds. The slimlines look like fun to start with but I really want to get into the American classics. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Alan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Save your money on the PSI kit ($229??? a lot of$$$). Use the funds to purchase the Jet and start with a few inexpensive 7mm kits and go from there. That is what I did when starting out. There is plenty of time to learn and upgrade to the more expensive kits. Enjoy the hobby "it's time wasted well $pent".

-Peter-[:)]

Pitchlock

OK you talked me into it. I am going with the JET from HUT products. Besides the items in the starter kit they offer is there anything else anyone would suggest.

Possumpoint

Starting out, I bought the following tools to do slimline pens:

1. 7mm pen mill.
2. 7mm mandrel with #1 mt to match my lathe.
3. 7mm brad point drill bit.
4. Vise clamp for drilling blanks.
5. Small pin for inserting tubes into blanks.
6. Pen press.
7. Harbor Freight lathe chisels.

Items 4 and 6 are up for discussion in that you can come up with home made substitutes for those items. I decided to get the tools rather than try to make something homemade and not have it work (damhikt).I bought the 4 chisel set from HF to get a gouge that I didn't have and to regrind the skew into a scraper that I didn't have. Other lathe chisels I had inherited from my father. So far, I've been quite pleased with the HF chisels. They're doing everything I ask of them and take an edge quite well. They only cost about $10.00 a set.

I use polyurethane glue for the tubes going into the blanks. It has been recommended to me, to use epoxy for that purpose. It sets much faster. I'll probably go that route when I finish the bottle of poly glue.

Do a lot of reading on finishing. There are many different opinions on what works best. As a general statement the higher grit sandpaper you use the better. I use up to 2000 grit. Some recommend the micro mesh pads rated up to 12,000 for sanding. I now use two coats of ca glue, sanded between coats and a finial coat of gloss lacquer as a finish. Play around with it and see what pleases you the best.

Hope this helps.

gerryr

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO??? [:0]

You're actually better off starting with Cigar pens. AZ Silhouette sells them in gold and chrome for 2.95. Slimlines can be difficult because the wood ends up being extremely thin. The Cigars are beefier so there is more of a safety margin, plus you don't have to mess with those wretched little Cross type transmissions. Be sure to buy extra tubes, probably 2-3 sets of extra tubes for each kit you order. Tubes are cheap. Also, before you buy the Jet from HUT, check out other dealers on the internet, especially Amazon.com which generally offers free shipping. Also take a look at the Rikon lathe at Woodcraft, looks pretty good. Do you have a drill press? If not, you have two options for drilling the blanks: buy a small drill press for about $100, or buy a 4-jaw lathe chuck(check Penn State Industries for this). The advantage of the lathe chuck is that you can use it for other turning projects.

Welcome to the group and kiss whatever shred of sanity you currently have bye-bye.[:D]

airrat

I would search around for the Lathe before you purchase it from Hut. It seems to me their products tend to be slightly higher in price then others.

TomServo

pitch: i've heard http://timberlinetools.com is the best place to get a jet mini - no affiliation.. I've heard the Rikon from WC is a great lathe, and more capacity than the jet mini

knottyharry

Alan,
Definitely talk to Timberline Tools.
I just bought a Jet variable speed from them and they had the best price.
Mention to them about penturners forum and that a couple of people said they got them recently and got the shipping for a dollar. See if they will still do it.
That is how I found out about it, and I got the one dollar shipping.
If you want stuff from Penn State, or Hut....get it from Woodturningz. They are a little cheaper. Tell them you heard it here.
Give them a call...1 800 736 5487.
Harry

Randy_

If you are going to go with the JET, take a look at Amazon.com and eBay....sometimes you can find good deals. Also put an ad in the classified forum here. You might find an IAP member who is moving up and has a good mini for sale.

Finally, I have a Jet and am very happy with it; but the new Rikon that has just come out looks like a very strong alternative. I would give it a good close look before deciding. I understand they are carried by Woodcraft.

Skye

I've got an older Chinese lathe, does a fine job for me. I've seen them used for next to nothing. I think Penn State sells something similar for around $140 new (TCLPLUS).

Slimlines were my first pens. Sure, the wood gets a little thin but I never had a blowout. If you're overly concerned with that, just sand the last bit. I didnt have any sandpaper and used a gouge to take it down to final size. One hit with 400 grit after that, then a PPP stick. Looks like crap compared to an experienced penmaker with lots of equipment, but I was happy with my first try.

It's a fine line between having too much and having too little.

woodpens

I also recommend the Jet Mini. I am not familiar with the Rikon. I think if you hold out for the better equipment, you'll be much happier in the long run. I have two Jet Mini's and a Mercury variable speed mini. I bought my second Jet from Amazon.com. They had an excellent deal on them. The Mercury is also a great lathe, but I use the Jet most of the time. The combination of accuracy and power are hard to beat for the price.

Dario

If you don't go with Timberline...Amazon have the Jet mini on sale...there is also a $25.00 mail in rebate and also comes with extra instant coupons ($40 and $80 off depending on total purchase).

Note that I just called them and they said that the lathes are on back order and the coupons were taken out yesterday but will be returned probably by Monday.

terrymiller

I bought the Delta Midi the only thing I would dodifferently is get the variable speed instead of the one where you have to change belts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom