Start up cost !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gljjr

I would NOT buy the box of rolled sand paper. Instead go get some Norton 8 1/2" X 11" sheet paper in each of the grits you want. Then get out the paper cutter and cut the sheets into 1" wide strips. Assemble these 1" strips into packs with 1 sheet of each grade of sand paper in order of the grit. Then put a staple on one end.

This will cost more up front but the sand paper lasts at least 5 times as long and having them step from 1 grit to the next makes it fast and easy to work your way through the grits.

As for the tools, If you are buying a grinder anyway you might look at the Harbor Freight copy of the Tormek. They often put them on sale for about $80. They actually take the Tormek attatchments and work pretty well. They are NOT the quality of a Tormek but for home use they are good enough IMHO. I've been very happy with mine that I got on sale for $69

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Find the closet chapter of AAW http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

Attend a meeting and makes someone that can mentor you. Woodturners as a whole bend over back wards to help beginners. A couple of hours with someone that knows woodturning is worth it's weight in gold.

Marvin

If it's a "closet" chapter,:biggrin: how do you know it's out there.... the only closet turner I know about is Skye and he's come out and moved into the living room :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Art Fuldodger

I would NOT buy the box of rolled sand paper. Instead go get some Norton 8 1/2" X 11" sheet paper in each of the grits you want. Then get out the paper cutter and cut the sheets into 1" wide strips. Assemble these 1" strips into packs with 1 sheet of each grade of sand paper in order of the grit. Then put a staple on one end.

This will cost more up front but the sand paper lasts at least 5 times as long and having them step from 1 grit to the next makes it fast and easy to work your way through the grits.

I second that, the Norton 3x paper is awesome stuff. And Woodcraft has a decent price on their job packs, $10 for 20 sheets. Home Depot wants $15 for the same.

Instead of a paper cutter, I just set the sheet over one of the ways on my lathe, and give the loose end a good downward snap, and it tears it quite quickly and cleanly.

Daniel

Compare the spacers you have with the mandrel to the center band of the slimline pen kit. if they are the same size you are good to go for slimlines. all other kits need different bushings though.

ngeb528

Good comments about MT1 vs MT2 but too late unless he can cancel/return his purchase. Fact is some ask here and still buy MT1 lathe because of budget restrictions.

Regret always comes later.

I don't regret buying a MT1..... but we also got a MT2 so we have everything covered. :rolleyes:

Nancy

Top Bottom