Stars & Stripes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stevej72

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevej72

This is my first pen in about 2 months, the LOML has been keeping me busy with other projects. I didn't get a couple of the stripes seated all the way and when I was gluing them in the wood came loose from the tube on one end. I put CA between the and tried to center it but found that it was off center when I turned it as you can see in the second picture.

I had planned on putting it on a Rhodium/black titanium Statesman but will wait until I get another stripes tube and get it done right.

20076111268_DCP_5551.jpg

200761112634_DCP_5556.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Thats too bad. I have always liked that style. I understand why you would rather use a Rhodium plating, that would be the perfect color match. I know of a few military personnel who would love that pen. And me of course.

Tanner

Hey Steve, I just did the same thing. As I was turning the pen the middle of a couple of stripes disappeared on me and I was left staring at what you have. Fortunately I had another Stars and Stripes package to rob from. I did see on the Kallenshaan site where you can order just the stripes section or just the stars section for whatever pen you have. This must happen quite often for them to offer that. Mine (new stripe section)is on the lathe right now.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Stevej72
<br />This is my first pen in about 2 months, the LOML has been keeping me busy with other projects. I didn't get a couple of the stripes seated all the way and when I was gluing them in the wood came loose from the tube on one end. I put CA between the and tried to center it but found that it was off center when I turned it as you can see in the second picture.

I had planned on putting it on a Rhodium/black titanium Statesman but will wait until I get another stripes tube and get it done right.

Steve,

First and foremost, this is NOT an attack in any way. I am curious about this post and the placement of it. IMO, it does not belong in the SYOP forum as it is there to show off your best work. I am not saying that it should not be posted, but I feel it would be better placed in another forum, perhaps the penturning forum. There is apparently a good lesson to be learned from your problem, and that is what I think should be explored. From the following quote, it sounds like you did not follow Ken's directions for gluing in the stripes.

I didn't get a couple of the stripes seated all the way and when I was gluing them in the wood came loose from the tube on one end

Please tell how you were seating and gluing the stripes.

My other question is probably raised only because I am <s>cheap</s>frugal. Why would you finish the pen and use up a kit for this particular final product? This would have gone on my "Oops Shelf" to remind me what not to do next time, and the kit would have gone to complete another pen, perhaps even another Stars and Stripes pen.

Again, this is not intended as an attack, rather as a possibility for a learning experience.

Stevej72

Hey everyone, thanks for your comments.

Cav, Thanks for your input, I did not take it as an attack.

You raise an excellent point as to the forum that I chose to put this in, not sure if I can move it at this time. I will keep that in mind for the future.

As far as gluing in the stripes is concerned. I think I did follow Ken's instuctions. I thinned yellow glue to the consistency of cream (wasn't sure if that was thinner cream like you use in coffee or heavy cream). I brushed glue in the recess and on the stripe. I let it set for maybe 10 to 15 seconds to hopefully soften the wood. Then I used the barrel of an exacto knife to press the stripe in. I bought 8 little clamps from Home Depot and used them as in the photo.

I'm not positive that the 2 stripes that I sanded through were not seated fully. It was hard to tell but that is what Ken thought.

The red wood did come loose from the tube and I had to put thin CA into the gap. Then I tried to hold the wood in such a way that the gap was even all the way around while I sprayed it with accelerator. Part of the problem (maybe the whole problem) was that it did bulge out on one side.

I assembled the pen with Gent Jr kit until my new stripes barrel comes, then I will disassemble it and put it with my Statesmen Jr. kit.

Thanks again, sorry to be so long winded with my reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom