Stand for my Mini Metal Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ffloyd

I became a proud owner of a LMS 4200 (7x12) metal lathe. All the flat surfaces in my shop are full of other things, so I want to build a cabinet to place this little beauty on. With all the bits and pieces that will accumulate with this new endeavor, I want to have a cabinet with drawers below the work surface. Before I get too deep in building, I would like to ask a few questions to the group:
1. With a wood lathe, the spindle should be at elbow height. Is this true for metal lathes? What is the ideal height?
2. What makes a good top surface. Should I allow extra space around the lathe? What would be a good top dimension?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

I became a proud owner of a LMS 4200 (7x12) metal lathe. All the flat surfaces in my shop are full of other things, so I want to build a cabinet to place this little beauty on. With all the bits and pieces that will accumulate with this new endeavor, I want to have a cabinet with drawers below the work surface. Before I get too deep in building, I would like to ask a few questions to the group:
1. With a wood lathe, the spindle should be at elbow height. Is this true for metal lathes? What is the ideal height?
2. What makes a good top surface.Sheet metal works best as oils etc. clean off easily Should I allow extra space around the lathe? Extra space comes in handy for putting the extra parts/tools somewhere What would be a good top dimension? As much as you can spare, I find I've never enough

Hi, I have my mini lathe set up so that the centre is at elbow height or a bit above, as it is the handles that you will be operating the most, so what suits you the best, it can always be packed up a bit more if needed.
For my top, I've used stainless steel sheet that was left over from a shop set up, sitting on top of 3/4" construction grade plywood. It's about 2' deep and about 4' long as I have my mini mill on the same bench, I also have a 3/4" back on it as well as stainless again, the stainless is stuck down with silastic, and makes clean up a breeze, there are shelves and pegs above the lathe, for the tools at hand. No drawers under the lathe as yet, looking for H/D runners for it. My collets and tools are in tool boxes ATM.
Kryn

PenPal

2. What makes a good top surface.Sheet metal works best as oils etc. clean off easily Should I allow extra space around the lathe? Extra space comes in handy for putting the extra parts/tools somewhere What would be a good top dimension? As much as you can spare, I find I've never enough

Hi, I have my mini lathe set up so that the centre is at elbow height or a bit above, as it is the handles that you will be operating the most, so what suits you the best, it can always be packed up a bit more if needed.
For my top, I've used stainless steel sheet that was left over from a shop set up, sitting on top of 3/4" construction grade plywood. It's about 2' deep and about 4' long as I have my mini mill on the same bench, I also have a 3/4" back on it as well as stainless again, the stainless is stuck down with silastic, and makes clean up a breeze, there are shelves and pegs above the lathe, for the tools at hand. No drawers under the lathe as yet, looking for H/D runners for it. My collets and tools are in tool boxes ATM.
Kryn

Hi Kryn long time since I talked to you speaking to Mark today understand he visited you yesterday a lot in common with his mill coming soon etc Kind regards Peter.

KBs Pensnmore

Hi Peter, yes long time no speak, it was great to catch up with him and Cherie again. I gave him some material to make himself a taper turning attachment for his lathe, plus some other bits and pieces, he dropped of a 220V dc motor, don't know if it works yet.
Cheers
Kryn

BSea

I went to a granite fabrication shop, and asked for a sink cutout to use as my base for my mini lath. It provides a flat solid base. And for free.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
This is not the ideal set up but, gives you an idea. This is still work in progress. It is a bathroom base cabinet I acquired at a building material surplus warehouse for $10.00 and, a counter top (30"x 48" roughly) from Lowes for $30.00 ? Built the riser with a shelf. Put pegboard with a few hooks on back of it. There are two magnetic strips for drill bits etc. As I said, it's not complete yet. As for height, this worked out well for me. I'm 5'7" and shrinking :redface::biggrin:

This is an old photo. This bench is now covered with debris :rolleyes:

Congratulations and, have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_1571 (2).jpg
    IMG_1571 (2).jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 322

randyrls

Fred; As others have mentioned, the key height are the handles. They should be about elbow height. Heavy pieces of square steel tubing can be used to raise the lathe to allow easy cleaning of swarf from underneath the lathe. On a safety note, NEVER use your fingers to do this.

Top Bottom