Stamps and feather HELP please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dustygoose

I have made some molds, Got some PR from Hobby Lobby, and a few stamps and pheasant feathers. That being said I tried a cast using a few feathers. I tried using Krylon white primer and spray glue to attach.

When I poured the mixed resin the primer cracked and pealed, looked like 40 year old paint, then the feathers "floated" away from the barrel.

I saved the barrels, and I want to try the canceled stamps also. I plan to buy some resin saver molds as soon as I figure this out, With help from members of IAP.

I assume the primer did so from the heat of curing. I'm not sure about the glue. Should I use CA? I know heat softens it. I also heard of clear nail polish to seal them so no or minimal bubbles.
But, what to use for the tubes? Powder coating is out the question till after Christmas...lol.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I think we might need some more information.... I'm not sure of that glue, but there is 2 variables I can think of.
1) how much mekp did you use?
2) How long did you let the paint dry before the next steps.

For canceled stamps, I personally would recommend white glue. I was recommended that for my money pen and gave it PLENTY of time to dry, but had no issue.

bruce119

A few tips I personally do. Everyone has there own way. But paint I now use testers spray paint. It cost a little more but I find it holds up to everything CA included. CA is always the best glue but not forgiving Mod Podge will work but keep it thin and don't use it as an overcoat. Give all your glues plenty of time to dry including CA at least 24 hrs. Even though it my feel dry it continues to out gas and gas trapped in polyester resin is a bad thing.

Another tip I have had some issues with paint scratching lately (I'm getting aggressive) anyway the next best thing to powder-coating is to paint the tube as usual then give it a couple coats of CA and sand it smooth with about 600 grit or 1500 M.M. It works great toughens up the paint and when cast you will never know you did it.

Feathers good luck search around there is info. but it is not that easy to get rite. The easiest is to tie or wrap them on.

Good luck, have fun, spend lots $$$ :biggrin:

Dustygoose

Alpha, I used 4 drops per oz. I let the paint dry over 36 hrs. Thanks for the tip on the white glue also.

Bruce , Thanks for the tip on the Testors paint. I have some models paint and an airbrush somewhere. Would that work also?

Gregf

My thanks also.
Looking to do some stamp pens.
Have the resin saver molds.
Need to get the resin and a little time.

Greg

Top Bottom