Stainless Bocote Slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I thought I'd have another go at doing a pen in wood. I'm sorry about the really poor pic, but if it was any better, then you would know as well as me, that I should stick to plastics[:I]
The bottom piece was just an old 12mm stainless steel bolt. The whole pen is suprisingly light, only 21 grams. ( I've started weighing all my pens now.)It's not bad, but not worth the effort it took.

200711923156_bocotebolt3.jpg

That is not the refill sticking out of the nib, just a bit of wire to support for the pic.

Heres a pic of the completed metal work before being dressed in the bocote.

2007119233427_bocotekit.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

guts

Steve,that looks like a fine looking pen but when you hold it can you feel the round holes in th s.s. bolt and does it seem to be a problem with the feel as far as comfort goes?

LEAP

Damn, you make me want a metal lathe[:(]. Very nice. how do you attach the clip? are you soldering the wire in or is it a press fit? I can just see myself having fits trying the get the bends right.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by LEAP
<br />Damn, you make me want a metal lathe[:(]. Very nice. how do you attach the clip? are you soldering the wire in or is it a press fit? I can just see myself having fits trying the get the bends right.

Thanks all[:D]

Phil, the clip is fixed into two holes in the finial. I was under the impression that this wire was tungsten welding rod, but have since found out that it too is stainless. It is a very tight fit but I did put a blob of metal Araldite in the bottom of the cap to hold the ends. Of course, I did use my metal lathe, but really just to drill the holes down the middle and to remove the threads from the original bolt. The other holes in the sides were done on a drill press and the shaping was done with a file.
I find I can get a lot of control with a file.[8D]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Grant, I cast the whole bottom piece inside a piece of plastic conduit, then turned it back to the steel. The wood was a loose fit inside the steel, so the resin fills that gap too.

20071110171240_casting.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom