Stainless and Real Damascus Steel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
It's been a while since I made a pen but I received a chunk of real damascus steel from a good friend, in a trade, so I had to make it.:biggrin:
( Many thanks, sir!!:wink:)

This has stainless steel trimmings. The 'Before' pic is once it was all turned and polished. I used white wine vinegar to 'etch' the grain back in.
I believe there are beter chemicals / acids to do this and they give a better contrast, but all the ones I found said that they would also react with the stainless, so vinegar it was.:rolleyes: I may put it back in the vinegar overnight, but I do like it the way it is. I 'might' also eventually make a stainless wire clip too.:rolleyes:
Hope you like it too and any c&c's welcome:biggrin:

Attachments

• BeforePickling.jpg
    BeforePickling.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 581
  • Damascus1.jpg
    Damascus1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 648
  • Damascus2.jpg
    Damascus2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 558

ldb2000

Totally awesome Skip !!!!!!! This has to be my favorite of everything you've ever done . STUNNING !!!

That said , why a roller ? This would have been perfect as a Fountain pen

IPD_Mrs

DROOL

Steven that is one of the sharpest pens I have seen in a long time. It just scream class. Too cool.

Did I mention I liked it? :)

Jmhoff10500

Is there some thing more descriptive than WOW? If there is then that's what that pen is! I love it and thanks for sharing!

Ligget

Well done Steve, that is awesome buddy, I have always loved the `grain` pattern of damascus steel. Get a clip on it though, saves it rolling off the desk! :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow!!! Thanks:biggrin: I actually thought that you guys may have found this one a bit boring

That said , why a roller ? This would have been perfect as a Fountain pen

Butch, I wish you hadn't said that!!! Yep, a FP would have looked good:rolleyes:

dang that's nice! like the nib/handle shape. is the tail slightly flared or is that camera angle?

Yes Jon, it's flared a bit. In fact only the cap has straight sides as the blank was the same size in the square.

Thanks again:biggrin:

ctubbs

The pen is awsome! The photos, on the other hand are truly amazing! Trying to get detail on metal is difficult at best, but to gather the detail on Damascus Steel that well is OUCH, tough. congratulations on a very amazing and beautiful pen as well as the very informative photos.
Charles

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
You are the man Skip. Real damascus has to be one of the haardest materials to work with from what I've heard. Its a real beauty.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You are the man Skip. Real damascus has to be one of the haardest materials to work with from what I've heard. Its a real beauty.

Thanks Bruce, but it wasn't that hard to turn. But as it is laminated layers, I struggled to get a nice 'finishing cut' I had to do a load of sanding.
The chips were tiny, sharp and HOT!!:eek::rolleyes:
Threading the cap with a tap was very easy ( threads are 12mm x 1mm )
Thanks again:wink:

Timebandit

What i want to know is how you are mating the stainless to the demascus?Surely they are not epoxied together.Also,are you using tubes and just press fitting the parts together,with such close tolerances that the seams are not visible to the human eye?

el_d

Now thats what Im talkin about, Yuzz guys are great inspiration.....

Very, Very nice Skippy, love that. ALOT!!!!

Still want to grow up to be a rat, or a cat, Ill even settle to be a bat.

Last edited:

MatthewZS

In the immortal words of Bill n' Tedd : "We're not worthy!! We're not worthy!!"

That is the sort of thing I dream of being able to make some day.

PenPal

Hi Skippy,
Over here the other night we had a program (lengthy) devoted to an incredibly famous Japanese World leading Master Chef who lives in based in Sydney. As an Australian Citizen he received an AM like a Knighthood for his lifes acheivements so far. I will look carefully into trying to obtain a DVD of this program.

WHY I hear you say well all his knives and cooking utensils and he sells them as well are made with Damascus steel and part of the program covered his visit to the Japanese firm that hand make knives etc the description included how they heat the steel, let it cool slowly and the steel becomes quite soft.

Incredible pics showed cooking pans Damascus, carpet in his resturant recently opened in Singapore made in Damascus Steel patterns. Got carried away did I not. This guy is humble and sharing a decent example of a truly great man.

Now your pen has some of these elements of greatness using simple undulating lines with an immaculate from here finish. I admire your thread cutting also your humility that is personified in your approach to sharing. I will attempt to obtain or request or get in touch with this great guy see if I can clout some of their steel manufacturing steel in Damascus form in the desire to put you two together in an attempt for you to create a masterpiece pen for the guy who has everything Damascus that I have seen.

IMHO you deserve an oportunity for greatness over and beyond. This guy owns resturants over the world one of his mates is in England owns a resturant called The Fat Duck has judged and worked out here ie Sydney etc in a totally popular program called Master Chef.

Alright he too is world famous maybe I can put you in touch with him over your way initially.
My mate you deserve a place in the hall of FAME in Pen Making. Now as Rome was not built in a day this will take me time but heck at 76 yrs Lord willing I will do my best.

Kind regards Peter.

Mark

.... I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. That is a truly amazing pen. It's a real inspiration to try and better ones technique and skills. Nicely Done..

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
...... Get a clip on it though, saves it rolling off the desk! :biggrin:

Ok Mark :wink:

Here it is with a Baron Clip. Looks ok but I'm gonna see if I can recess it so you don't see the join line. If I wreck it, I know where you live!!!!:biggrin:

Attachments

• Clip1.jpg
    Clip1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 151
  • Clip.jpg
    Clip.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 174
Top Bottom