Staining Stabilized Wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I have a friend who wants a piece of cherry burl that is the traditional dark red of aged cherry.

I have been looking at stabilised cherry burl, but I am not sure if it could be stained to have the right coloring. My suspicion is that the stabilizing agent would prevent the stain from absorbing properly.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

boxxmaker

No you can't stain it,as like you said the proccess of stabilizing would prevent the stain from penatrating the blank,with good results,if any.

Arcadia

It would have to be stained along with the stabilizing process. Have it stained any color as long as the liquid stabilizer contains the stain you want.

Pat

Fibonacci

Unfortunately, I can't do the stabilizing myself and I don't have time/budget to send it out to get stabilized/colored.

This is for a gift that the wife just let me know that I am making. Thus my other thread about sources for burl.

KenV

The good news is that Cherry is light sensitive -- a day in the sun will change light cherry to dark -- almost magic -- put a piece of dark plastic over one corner of a piece and leave the rest in the sun for a few hours.

I have no idea if the plastic injection will change the light sensitive properties, but why stablaize a good wood??? Cherry burl turns smooth and finishes nice!!!

Fibonacci

It really darkens that fast? I thought it took a few years to get dark.

In that case, staining is probably a moot point. Given the desert sun, it might only take a few hours.

Top Bottom