Stained Briar Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

Here are a few pens I am making for the pipe show. Pipe makers stain their briar, so that's why the stain.
Thanks for looking. :)

20061242332_pipe_jrsts.jpg

20061242415_pipepens_fps.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Thanks Tom,yep, that's my Wiz pipe I made. I am doing the show because Andrea at pipemakers.org talked me into it. I am bringing the pipes I made, but not to sell. I will be selling pens and my tampers. I am hoping they go for the brair wood pens to match their pipes [:D] I hope to learn from some of the best pipemakers that should be there to improve on my pipe making skills.

Anthony, are you going to be there all weekend? If so, I'll plan on stopping to see you on Saturday. Good luck with the show and those pens look great

chigdon

What a great idea. I bet they do well. Just have some literature about these pens because I bet you will get some sales after the fact. What did you dye them with?

gerryr

Great looking pens and I like your tamper a lot. It's been a very long time since I smoked a pipe, but I still love to look at them. I love briar.

PenWorks

Originally posted by DWK5150
<br /> Do the leather dyes hold up that well though???

I sand back the dyes after it has dried. Should hold up. I put a CA finish over them. Lots of color still comes off during the CA application. I was surprised when I buffed a couple of my pipes, the color came off on the buffing wheel after a year. But the pipes have no finish on them, other than wax.

DWK5150

Hmm I might have to try some of my leather dyes. Ive just heard storys of them fading bakc but Im guessing thats if they see lots of sun. Hey Anthony almost to 4000 posts!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just think of the amount of knowledge he has shared (this is NOT meant tongue in cheek, for a change). Thanks, Anthony!!

btboone

Nice stuff Anthony. A couple questions; is that pen made to post? It looks like it probably can, but is it really meant to?

Also, how do you make a pipe? I assume with a bandsaw and some hand tools or a grinder?

PenWorks

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Just think of the amount of knowledge he has shared (this is NOT meant tongue in cheek, for a change). Thanks, Anthony!!

Ed, if you believe half the crap I pumped out, your in trouble [:D]
Thanks.

Bev, the technical term for that pipe is Churchwarden stem. But I like to call it my wizard pipe [:D] I like making them when you can leave the rough burl on the top. Kind of like a natural edge bowl, only you can smoke it [:D]

Bruce the pens in the photo do not post, the are Jr. Statesmen V2.
Here are a couple more Jr. Gents in Black Ti, that do post, they are rollers in Briar, a red stain & natural.

2006124165531_pipe_pens_jrgent.jpg
<br />

That is exactly how I make my pipes, a little band sawing and some roughing with a Fordom hand grinder to shape it, then hand file & sand. Average about 9 hours per pipe.

JimGo

Those are all really sharp Anthony! I look forward to seeing in person any of them that don't sell if/when I make my way out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom