stablizing pump?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

elody21

I know this is an old subject but could some one tell me exactly what is needed to make a vaccume pump set up for stabilizing blanks?. I just discovered that there is a Harbor Freight only 10 min away! I remember talk about getting a pump there. I realize that there is more than one part to make this. Can someone make me a shopping list of what I need. I have no understanding of pumps etc...., so be remedial. Thanks, Alice
Example what kind of guage etc...
P.S. I already have a small air compressor. Do I need this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Alice, HF sells a vacuum pump that needs a large air compressor for it to work. Unless you have a large compressor, the pump is useless.

I bought a new pump. Email me if you want details.

ldimick

How large? I have a pancake compressor for lightweight nailing, R/C car painting, etc. What else is needed? How does the pump attach to the can/jar/bottle?

Fred in NC

I have a pancake compressor too. It will not work with the cheap HF gizmo. I had to buy a vacuum pump. They run anywhere from $60 or so used to $300 or more. I paid $150 for a real good one. I just did not want to take a chance on a used pump.

There is a pump that is used with wine bottles to take the air out. It might work for ocassional use. I have not tried this one. $10.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009WE4M/ref=pd_sim_ki_1/103-1122445-5169462?v=glance&s=kitchen

Another one:
http://www.pump-n-seal.com/info.htm

timdaleiden

Alice,

I certainly wouldn't discourage people from doing their own stabilization. Some people here have reported good results. I have never tried it myself.

I just want to remind everyone that River Ridge Products does do very professional stabilization at a reasonable cost. I brought some blanks up there myself, since he is only a few hours away. He is a great guy, showed me around his operation, and I even got to see his stabilizing chamber. It ain't no pickle jar.[:0] The blanks turned out great.

Just another option to think about.

http://www.rrpwhite.com/

btboone

I made a thermoformer where I used to work using a small 110V compressor. It was something like 8" long and 5" in diameter. It looked like it would have come from an automotive supply or Grainger or someplace like that. I just hooked a line up to the input line rather than the output line and it pulled a great vacuum. I used 5 gallon compressed air tanks to store the vacuum so it could be fired all at once. Regular galvanized airline pipe fittings were all that was necessary and I had a vacuum gauge as well. It worked well.

M

Mudder

Look for vacuum pumps on ebay. I bought mine on ebay for $41.00 .
Auto parts stores sell a hand operated pump called a Mightyvac for around $60.00, this is what I used before I bought my Vacuum pump. Be sure to get the steel one because the cheaper plastic one is destroyed by some chemicals. A friend of mine thought he was saving a few bucks by buying the plastic one. He lost.

The harbor freight pumps need a compressor capable of producing 4.2 CFM. Another place to look would be a place that repairs appliances. The compressor on an old air conditioner, refrigerator, or freezer will also produce vacuum. Here is a link to a great little unit that will not break the bank and the guy really does a good job of explaining everything:

http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/vacuum_pump/

Hope this helps.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I have one of these http://www.pump-n-seal.com/ and it works for me... not fast or perfect, but I can get the job done...
I also agree with Tim... if you are looking to do a bunch of blanks have them done professionally.. the outfit Tim recommended is supposed to do fantastic work...
I only use the pumpnseal when I absolutely need to get something done quickly...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
In Defrence to Freds remark:
A large compressor is NOT needed.
What is needed is a shut of valve before and after the $10.00 H.F. pump.( actually a venturi vacuum manifold.)
There are automatic systems you can build but the HF one can be put together for under $25.00.Providing you have a compressor that has approximately 90-110 P.S.I.
The technique I use is to open the valve on the "suction" side of the maifold.Between the manifold and the valve I installed a vacuum gauge available at Grainers for about $10.00 .
I also have a valve on the "feed" side of the maifold.
1.Open suction valve
2.open supply valve
3.watch the needle on the vacuum gauge.If you have a good seal on your container the valve will"peak" at about 24-26".
4.At some point your compressor will kick in.
5.WHen your solution starts"bubbling" or the needle on the vacuum gague peaks ,SHUT the valve on the suction side to keep the vacuum in your chamber.
You will see bubbling, this is not boiling,it is air bubbles being reled from you material.
6.Shut off the supply to the manifold. This will allow your compressor to build up pressure.
7.If the needle on the vacuum gauge drops immediately you parobably have a leak some where.
8.THere will be a slow drop in the vacuum reading as you are not pulling all the air out fo what ever you are trying to stabilize all at once.Over a period of time, the suction will pull air out of the pieces you are stabilizing and replace it with stabilizing solution.
This will cause a drop in suction along with the fact there is no perfect vacuum except in space.
9. after a while repeat the process.
10.When there is a visable decrease in the amount of bubbling after repeating the steps, you have probably gotten as much stabilizing solution in the piece as youcan.
11.Just because your piece sinks does not mean that it is finished, it just has achieved negative bouancy.You can probably get bore "bubbling" out of it.
Remember that the liquid you are "sucking" into your piece Will partially evaporate and when it does it will be replaced with air.
This will stabilze a piece for turning, but it is not the same as a pressurized stabilized blank like Bill sells or a service that will stabilze a blan at so much per piece.
I have used this method on my corn cobs and it works well,even though I have to "baby sit" it.
I can do these in the course of a day , let it sit over nite,
Start it and stop the process a day or so and then continue.

There are automatic switches and valves that can be purchased so you don't have to monitor this.
I have used the HF set up with one of their compressors that puts out the pressure I mentioned earlier.
If you want a turn it on and forget about it system, there are vacuum systems used by woodworkers that can be home built for a lot less than ready made units.
A search on Google, vacuum and veneering should get you the information you want.

jkirkb94

Alice, this is what I use. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39522. You might look around some local auto supply shops for this item. I paid about $25 for mine. Have seen them as high as $45. Drill hole in top of pickle jar. Plug connector into hole. Seal hole with "5-min JB Weld" (check out local hardware store for this) Need to make sure that lid seals very good. Hand pump to about 20-25 lb of pressure. Voila! Vacuum chamber. Total cost can be under $30. Kirk[8D]

low_48

I once read a caution about buying electric vacuum pumps off Ebay. The caution? Make sure it did not come from old medical equipment. Gave me some nasty thoughts about what might be growing in a used pump. Yeck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich

All you ever wanted to know about vacuum systems can be found at www.joewoodworker.com. Joe's slant is towards vacuum presses for veneer but every thing there is useful for a vacuum system to impregnated pen blanks.

I can tell you that at 50°F acetone will boil under 25" Hg of vacuum. I had bubbles like you wouldn't believe coming off a jar of solution, then it hit me, no blanks in jar.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Mac
that was one of the sites I was thinking of but didn't have it bookmarked.It is now.
There is an item on his site that is essnetially the HF venturi pump.
Jkirk.elody said she already had a compressor so that's why I posted that I had good luck with the $10.00 pump from H.F.
I also tried the hand vac and for multiple sessions or doing large amounts the $10.00 pump was better for me,even though I needed to buy a gauge and 2 valves.
Also the fumes from acetone "seized" up the inner components of the hand pump.Plastic gauge doesn't work any more nor do the valves.
It's trashed.

2005220162055_Vacuum-System-003.jpg

This is my vacuum system built with a pump from ebay and design suggestions picked up on Joe Woodworker's web site. It works quite nicely and I can pull up to 27" Hg of vacuum with it.

elody21

That is quite a contraption!!!! What was the name of that place?? River Ridge something??!!! Thanks to everyone for their responses!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom