stabilizing wood w/ poly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dado

I'm wanting to learn to stabilize wood and other various materials, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out how. I read Lee Biggers article on stabilizing wood using polyurethane but I'm embarrassingly ignorant of such matters. I understand how to place the negative pressure gauge on the lid of the gallon jar, but how do I get the air out to create the vacuum? I've found several vacuum pumps for purchase but they are all extremely expensive. Is there another option? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scottydont

I use a Mighty brand Hand pump from Harbor freight. It cost me about $30 bucks. If you have a air compressor Harbor freight makes a vacuum pump that is driven by air. They are typically used for evacuating air conditioning systems. I think Mudder uses one. If I remember is was like $14-16 bucks?

low_48

dado, I use something like this to hold the vacuum.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48839&item=5766752496&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I place the dome on a gasket that sits on a sink cutoff from a kitchen countertop shop. I bring in the vacuum hose under the cutoff into the dome. I place a pickle jar filled with my poly and blanks inside the dome and hook this all up to a pump that I use for my veneer work. The dome I have is clear and lets me monitor what is going on. You need to pull a very hard vacuum, and by what others have written, you pull the vacuum several times to get the material into the blank.

Rich

JimGo

Lou (DCBluesMan) posted the following link in a related thread. Basically, if you can find the parts, you can make one yourself:
http://www.scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/aero/vacuum/index.html

Here's the thread, which has other info too:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4605&SearchTerms=scitoys

rtjw

Depending on how much you want to stabilize depnds on how big a container you need. I am currently using a 5 gallon container that is steel and sealable. I am having one made that is 25 gallons and should be ready in about a month. A 5 gallon container can hold a lot of wood. A one gallon container can hold about 15 to 20 blanks. A 5 gallon can hold about 100. The one I am having made will hold about 500. There are several different solutions you can stabilize wood with. I am using a polyurethane based solution. I think it is better than the acrylic resins. Just my opinion. The acrylics make the wood to hard and tough to turn sometimes. I have been stabilizing corn cobs (which are really hard to turn), I had one guy that said out of ten he bought from me, he had only one blow out. The pens I have turned with cobs do not have very many pith holes to fill in. Just my opinion in the whole matter.
I dont know very much about the vacuum systems though. I actually read one gauge wrong here a couple a weeks ago. I thought it was pulling 50 inches when the best you can actually get is 30. Stupid self was reading the centimeters. I use old aspirators out of hospitals to pull the vacuum.

rtparso

Well I haven’t done any stabilizing YET, but when I was a mechanic we sometimes used an old Freon pump out of a refrigerator. We got them for free from old refrigerator repair shops. Find one were someone broke a coil.

dado

As I mentioned in my posting, I'm new to penturning and to using this computer but I wanted to express my sincere thanks to all you who were so nice to take time out of your day to help me with my problem. I now know how to do this and I know it would have either cost me a small fortune or taken me a long time to learn how if I had done it on my own. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom