Stabilizing Old Pine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

Has anyone ever stabilizes old pine. ??
This is what I have, My aunt is tearing down there old barn and wants pens made for all the kids and grandkids. Total 20. The wood is dry, VERY DRY.
I cut up 22 blanks and treated them in Min-wax Wood hardner. Put them in the pressure pot, pulled a vacumn on them for a day and let them soak. Let them dry for about 2 days in the sun and drilled them. They were still very wet in side. So I let them set for 5 days to dry out. They felt dry so I glued up a set to try. Well its either the hardner or the sap came alive. The shavings are really sticky. And tears terribly. How long should I let these dry before turning? Or is the sap going to be a problem and will never dry out.? Am I just getting in too big of a hurry?
Or should I go back and get another board and try turning with a CA?

Any suggestions?
Thanks Rich H.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I just wonder if you need to stabilize them...dry wood should turn just fine, especially if you put some thin CA on it as you get closer to the desired thickness?

I wouldn't bother with wood hardener, but if it's sticky, that's likely the lack of cure on the wood hardener - it penetrates into the interior of the wood via solvents, but it must take a while for that interior portion to cure, even when it seems hard on the outside...

Mind you, I've never used it with success, so this is just conjecture....i'd stick with CA, personally...

hewunch

Pine is going to be sticky/gummy anyway. I have some heart pine from buildings built at the turn of the 20th Century that are GUMMY. They clog my tools like crazy and that is with no stabilization what so ever.

Mac

If it has a real strong pine odor, its what we call rich pine or pine knot. People in the old days would use it to start fires,in their stoves or fireplaces. (just a few shavings)
I have turned some and don't think wood hardner would penetrate very good as the wood is very rich in oil ,very sticky ,chips stick everywhere but nice grain.
I sanded then blo then sanded then blo/ca.worked.

Top Bottom