Stabilizing Leather?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I have turned a few pens using leather and always seem to need to use a lot of CA to get any decent kind of finish. I am wondering if I used some vacuum stabilization if that would be more efficient.

I do not have my vacuum system working yet, but hopefully soon. I have the gallon jar of pickles about 1/2 empty now. :) I have an HVAC evac pump and so once I get the jar empty I will try that process.

If it is good to use stabilization, I am wondering if I should use cactus juice or polyurathane, or even diluted elmers glue.

Anyone tried any of these?

THanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I don't think Elmers would work because it doesn't get hard. I beleive when you turned it the glue would get soft and gum up. The Cactus Juice might work but the only problem would be keeping the pieces flat or keeping them together while stabilizing. I don't know anything about the polyurathane. All the pens I seen posted said they used C.A.
I just thought of something! You might be able to stack the leather on the tube and use flat washers and a bolt to keep the leather compressed and lined up then use the Cactus Juice. Then the only problem would be cleaning the inside of the tube. Good Luck

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
When I do a leather pen I cut the leather pieces to size and punch a hole for the tube/s. I then mixup a solution of about 50/50 mixture elmers glue and water and let the leather soak for at least 24 hours turning the pieces ever few hours. After the soaking I remove the leather pieces from the mixture and let them dry for a few days. I then glue the up on the tube with elmers glue and clamp them and let dry. I don't rush this part and keep tg clamp on for 12 to 24 hours. I then set then aside for a few more days.

Then I use carbibe and sandpaper for the shaping I dont get any softening or gum up. But I do take my time. I finish my leather pens with WTF and I feel I get a good finish.

The way I do a leather pan does take some time but then the outcome is worth it.

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 538
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

wyone

Those are AWESOME pens. I made one for a friend that does leatherwork and she loves it. It was a mess, mostly because I didnt exactly know what I was doing, so I was winging it a LOT. Mine did not turn out nearly as even or perfect as yours. I used all CA on it. I guess I need to try some WTF for finishing. I was wondering if there is a finish that can be used that will end up with more of the leather feel when complete if you know what I mean. I know she loves the look, but thinking she might really appreciate feeling the leather itself, but not sure how to do that and have it stand up to use. hmmm

KenV

Mitch -- Knife makers have been using leather disks for handles for a long long time. There are instructions depending on the outcome you are looking for - including YouTube videos.

The Estwing hammers have used leather disk handles for decades. They use a compression press to squeeze the leather onto the handle - which is not practical for pens.

Both approaches give a good tactile sense with the leather handles.

wyone

Ken

TY for reminding me of things that I know and use. I carry an Estwing hammer every day and never once thought about how it is put together. I do remember it has rivets at the end so I think you are right about the compression. I also used to have a hunting knife that was made with rings of leather. It is weird that even though I have things like that I totally forgot about trying to figure out how they were made. I now have to go look for my knife and you tubes on how they do that. Thank you so much! I am going to blame my forgetfulness on learning too much on this site and filling my brain to the point where I had to forget other things. :) :)

Dan26

I have an old bottle of hide glue that I use to glue the pieces together. Once dry the glue seems to offer some support also. I do finish it with CA and it doesn't seem to take much to get a glossy finish.

Attachments

• Leather05.jpg
    Leather05.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 625
Top Bottom