Stabilizing & Dyeing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRP460

Hi all, I'm new to the board.

I have several questions.
I see that some use vacuum and some use pressure when stabilizing.
1)What pressure do the pressure folk recommend?
2)Does the Minwax Wood Hardener change the wood's natural color much?
3)I have access to both pressure and vacuum chambers.... is there a preference for either when stabilizing or dying?
4)I see double dyed stabilized wood blanks for sale. Does the process involve first using just a dye mix, then a hardener/dye mix?

Thanks for any assistance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

WELCOME!!!

Sorry can't help much but here is my take.
1) I plan on going to 40psi (my chamber can handle up to 80psi)
2) Depends on the wood. Punky woods tend to change more but harder/more solid wood didn't in my little experience with it.
3) If you can, use vacuum first then pressurize. Given only one choice, I will do pressure.
4) Most that I've read include the dye/color with the hardener.

Please note that I have limited experience on stabilization and only used Minwax wood hardener and plexiglass-acetone solution so far. I based my answer on that little experience and what I've read or planned on doing. I am sure other with more experience will come along. [:)]

DRP460

Thanks Dario,

I'm also flirting with the idea of using a small ultrasonic cleaner to impregnate color and stabilization compounds.

Anyone try the PC-Petrifier Wood Hardener? it is water based, so will raise grain.

EPC

Dario,

Since you recommend a "pressure" system could you tell me what kind of set up I would need? i.e. parts needed....where I could purchase those parts.

Dario

Originally posted by EPC
<br />Dario,

Since you recommend a "pressure" system could you tell me what kind of set up I would need? i.e. parts needed....where I could purchase those parts.

HarborFreight have the best price as far as I know on pressure tanks. Check this thread http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16797

You will need a compressor for it...depends on how you are mechanically, you can use/adapt a 12V tire compressor which can be had for about $10.00 or so at Walmart. [;)]

Misc fittings can be bought from Walmart/Home Depot/Lowes/Big Lots/etc.

EPC

Dario,

Thanks for the heads up. I liked what I saw at HF, so I went ahead and ordered it. In addition, I purchased their vacuum pump since it appears that their pressure tank could easily be used as a vacuum tank. Certainly much better than one of those pickle jars that people are using.

Luckily I already have a compressor, so I don't have to worry about that expense.

Looking forward to getting the supplies in and trying my hand at stablizing.

loglugger

For me the gallon jar with a quart jar inside keeps the mess in the smaller jar. It also keeps the dyes separated and lets you see when all of the air is gone from the blanks. But you don’t want to put air pressure into a glass jar, just vacuume.
Bob

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by EPC
<br />Dario,

Thanks for the heads up. I liked what I saw at HF, so I went ahead and ordered it. In addition, I purchased their vacuum pump since it appears that their pressure tank could easily be used as a vacuum tank. Certainly much better than one of those pickle jars that people are using.

Luckily I already have a compressor, so I don't have to worry about that expense.

Looking forward to getting the supplies in and trying my hand at stablizing.

I have stabilized more blanks in pickle jars over the last 2 years than I care to count.I get the gallon ones at the recycling center.
Mudders home made lid with a a replace ment tire valve with the core removed makes a great fitting(I credit Smoky tom with that tip).
There is a wealth of information on this site regarding stabilizing.
It is wise to use a clear vessel so you can see what's going on.

One more tip for the actual container you use to put the acetone in.
It is difficult to find containers that are tall enough yet fit in the vacuum chamber.
Tennis ball containers will not melt with acetone nor will soft drink plastic containers.
I even store my acetone plexi mix short term with the TB containers.Long term it's mason jars.

Sylvanite

Originally posted by cteaglesc
I even store my acetone plexi mix short term with the TB containers.Long term it's mason jars.

I wouldn't recommend storing acetone solutions in anything but the metal can that acetone comes in. Acetone won't melt HDPE containers, but that plastic is porous enough that acetone will evaporate right through it. I shudder to contemplate cleaning up the mess if you drop a glass jar of dissolved plexiglass.

Regards,
Eric

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Sylvanite
<br />

I wouldn't recommend storing acetone solutions in anything but the metal can that acetone comes in. Acetone won't melt HDPE containers, but that plastic is porous enough that acetone will evaporate right through it. I shudder to contemplate cleaning up the mess if you drop a glass jar of dissolved plexiglass.

Regards,
Eric
Originally posted by Sylvanite
<br />

Regards,
Eric
Gotcha Eric, is that how you store your acetone plexi mix?
I have been storing it that way for 2 years.
If the acetone evaporates guess what?
I add more acetone(stored in the glass Mason jar.)[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom