Stabilizing cherry burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ebrown7780

A friend just gave me several slabs of cherry burl. Before I just start turning it I need to know if it needs to be stabilized and if so what how is the best way?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbswearingen

If there are no voids, then no, you don't need to. Stabilizing will make it easier, but you need Cactus Juice, a vacuum pump and a vacuum chamber (or Bell jar), and an oven.

You can find somebody here to send them to for a fee to be stabilized.

You can turn them as is, just cut lightly with a very sharp tool. Cut about 1/32" proud of final thickness and sand to finish it.

Jim Burr

Banned
Two different schools of thought on burls and stabilizing. One school is that usually, burls are hard as a rock anyway. Unless they are punky, why bother? The other school says that since the grain is everywhere on a burl and can be prone to blow outs, stabilizing help maintain the structure. Pick your poison. Cut a blank from one, stabilize it and turn them both...see what you like!

I have done a bit of stabilization but I don't unnecessarily stabilize wood. If a wood seems to be solid and substantial as most of the cherry burl that I have turned seems to be I would not stabilize it. Now if it is spalted and punky that is a different story. I also cook my wood before I stabilize it at 125 or so for a day of so.

Top Bottom