Stabilizing after segmenting? Help I got ahead of myself..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sschering

I started working on a segmented blank that is a mix of woods and acrylic.
After thinking about it I wish I had stabilized the wood first.

Do you think it still possible to stabilize or will the vacuuming and baking cause issues with the acrylic and segmenting?

Worse case I could always cut the wood bits off and stabilize them.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RBcarving

Your "average" acrylic is going to soften at around 110-115F, though will not melt til a little over 300F. I would take a small piece and bake it to see if it stays in useable rough form or if it becomes too fluid.

Brad

Jim Burr

Banned
Just a guess from doing lots of both, but I think you may get some shrinking of the PR. I seem to remember that stabilizing has no effect on glue up? Been a long time so I could easily be wrong.

sschering

Well I guess I'll find out tonight..

My order of Juice is waiting at home and the vacuum chamber is ready to go..

sschering

Success! the blank survived..

I didn't let the oven get over 250.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with the other 2 giant spalted blanks.. Boy did they soak up the juice.

Attachments

• a7oDXiql.jpg
    a7oDXiql.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

sschering

and boom.. sigh..

GwJHg3ll.jpg

Can't win em all.. I have sworn off gluing tubes with ca.. Lost 2 blanks I put a lot of work into this week.

SDB777

Segmented and epoxy should probably be used in sentences all the time?

Sorry about the 'boom...sigh', but it does look as though the stabilizing of the timber worked...so that is a kind of a 'plus'(trying to find something good out of this).

Scott (the next will be perfect) B

hard hat

I have had great results using titebond polyurethane glue for gluing tubes into blanks. sand the tubes with some 80-120 grit to scuff them up, squirt some glue into the blank and move it about evenly with a cotton swab. a mist of water from a spray bottle to help it set up (since it requires moisture to cure) and then slide the tube in. plugging the end of the tube can be beneficial for cleanup ease but isn't necessary. then liberal application of thin ca while turning if the wood isn't stabilized keeps everything a bit more solid.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with

sschering

I was going to go get some poly glue but seeing as I have a half gallon of laminating resin on hand that cures crystal clear I elected to go with that.. I usually don't want to wait the 12 hours it takes for a full cure but I just need to slow down and wait I guess.

Top Bottom