Stabilized Ancient Bison Bone Jr. Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
It has been a while since I have made a pen, let alone posted a photo. This is a pen I have been working on for a while now and finally got finished. It is made from a piece of approximately 3,000 year old ancient bison bone that I personally dug up while doing some amateur archaeology. I know its approximate age due to the native American artifacts found on the same layer and this has been confirmed by a professional archaeologist.

It was a real bear to turn due to all the dirt that was in the bone. I had to stop and sharpen my tools after every single pass so it was very slow going. The finish is CA, of course. The first pic shows a piece of similar bone this was made from and the second pic shows one of the artifacts I found at this dig.

Thanks for looking!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• bison1.jpg
    bison1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 992
  • Bison2.jpg
    Bison2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 924
  • Bison3.jpg
    Bison3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 955
  • Bison4.jpg
    Bison4.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 975
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

This is one thing you'll never hear-- "Yeah, I got one just like it!" Really cool pen, with a great story.

tkbarron

Very very nice work. This gives me inspiration to visit the NY Museum of Natural History to collect dinosaur bones...

Tom

weasel1219

Awesome work, just to know that this was once an ancient beast and now is a work of art.
Great job...Don't give up turning, your work is inspiring.

wizard

Curtis, That is an over the top archeological artifact made into a writing instrument..Definitely a heirloom too be passed down..Incredible!
I would be scared that I would accidentally drop it:eek: Doc:)

terryf

and all this time I didn't think you were a turner, just a hired gun to keep us mere mortals in our place :tongue:

Lovely work Curtis! I know the feeling of having to sharpen after every turn so I feel your pain! And I'll just bet the photos dont do it justice either.

Top Bottom