Squirt bottle question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawry76

Happy 4th!

Do any of you have a source for squirt bottles, with lids/tops, in which I could keep liquids, such as DNA, BLO, etc. I see them at Woodcraft but am sure you have discovered another (cheaper?) source.
Thanks in advance.

vick

DNA in a plastic bottle sounds like a bad idea to me. DNA is a solvent that I would expect to start breaking down the plastic.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Buy some CA from Daniel's group buy. He also sells 2 ounce bottles that are great for any use. I keep my DNA in one of those hand soap dispenser bottles. I have used the same one for 6 months and don't notice any change of properties. However many bottles you think you need at the group buy, double the number. They are inexpensive and always handy.

JimGo

I got a bunch of bottles from Target in their travel section. I got the ones with the "sport" type lids on them, so I can open and close them easily with one hand. I keep a supply of DNA, H2O, Acetone, and BLO handy in those; MUCH easier than having to constantly open and close the bigger containers that those chemicals usually come in.

dwstevens

My wife answered this question for me some months ago. She uses Nice & Easy Hair Color and always saves the bottles for me. They hold about 4 ounces and have held up under all the finishing liquids that I use in the shop.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Here's a link to a large variety of specialty plastic bottles with all manner of closures and caps. FYI, I store homemade shellac (shellac flakes, BLO and DNA) in plastic without problem. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=20869&Page=1

Czarcastic

I got a bunch pretty cheap at a beauty supply store. several different sizes with caps, and graduated markings on the sides, plus one with a pump sprayer for CA Accelerant.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Wally World has small squirt bottles 4/$2.00 or less.travel size.
I keep my Mylands finishes in them,BLO and alcohol. Haven't tried aceatone.For acetone I keep the small can I originally bought (32 oz) and refill from a gallon can.

lawry76

Thank you. What a marvelous selection of ideas. My goal in life, or at least a short-term goal, is to one day have an answer to someone's question. You all have been a wealth of ideas for me.

Rifleman1776

The beauty supply idea is a good one. I have had trouble fining bottles that have caps on the squirter. And, as suggested, keeping alcohol or other solvents in plastic bottles can be problematic. Not all plastics are created the same. I have been keeping Anchorseal in an empty plastic Folger coffee can and just found out the plastic is softening, will have to put in metal. For containers that won't react to solvents, look up 'nalgene' in a search. That plastic is inert and impervious to just about everything. Expensive but one bottle should last a lifetime.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by scalawagtoo
<br />Have you thought of going to your local diner or restaurant and trying to buy some catsup squeeze bottles.

Those don't have caps to close them up with. I went to a wholesale supplier to buy some and found out that way, sans caps.

scalawagtoo

Since people are turning honeydrippers, might I suggest the little squeeze bottles that honey comes in.

i have a 12 oz. bottle in my hand. A litle bear, a screw on cover with a nice cap on top.

Pure Grade A Honey
Bywater Farm
Amery, WI
715-268-2389

They will probably ship you all the honey bottles you want but you'll have use up the honey first.

Did I break a rule by putting in a plug for local honey?

Leather Man

Robert,
I picked up some bottels from a veterinarian. They have 2oz bottles that they put medicine in for animals. The 2oz bottles work better for me than the 4oz bottles I was going to get. Hope this helps some.
Ben

Fred in NC

From my experience, the best plastic is regular polyethylene. It is kind of frosted like a milk jug. The crystal clear plastic can be polypropylene or other kinds, and might not take some solvents. The best caps are the ones made from the same material, they usually have a little snap on cap.

The only ones I can get around here are from WalMart, and are about $1.80 for 2, 6 oz size. I would really like to get some smaller ones too.

MDWine

I keep my DN-Alchol in a plastic spray bottle from Home Depot.. one of the "good" bottles, abut 3.00!

The BLO is in one of those small "Daniel-CA-Bottles", and the acetone is in the original container, I don't use it very often at all. (yet!)

That spray bottle is great, and so are those little "Daniel-CA-Bottles". You can use a bunch of those!

mrcook4570

Another possibility is your local high school's chemistry deptartment. Small plastic bottles and glass bottles with droppers are usually plentiful. You could even offer a trade and perhaps open up a door for selling your pens.

fritzmccorkle

they have the caps with the little flip tops that dispense a drop at a time. havn't tried them with solvents, but they do hold the mylands. i've seen the mylands just take some bottles and turn them to jelly (it was some bottle ryan had bought at walmart in the health and beauty section).

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by fritzmccorkle
<br />they have the caps with the little flip tops that dispense a drop at a time. havn't tried them with solvents, but they do hold the mylands. i've seen the mylands just take some bottles and turn them to jelly (it was some bottle ryan had bought at walmart in the health and beauty section).
I have my Mylands in bottles bought at Wally world and haven't had any problems.
The Mylands has been in them and refilled since last December.
The bottles were 4/$1.87 a blue flip cap frosted plastic.
Possibly from different supliers?
I also experimented with acetone in a soda bottle and the bottle diffent dissolve.
(that was just a test to see if I could use the plastic in my stabilizing solution.)

Dario

Anyone tried using Tide liquid detergent (travel size) bottles? It has a sport type push/pull lid that holds 5 fl. oz. I have been storing my Mylands in there for more than a year and it is still good! Had to clean it once since Mylands started building on the tip.

Got mine at my local Big Lots store for $0.49 each...and I had some soap to use too!!! [;)][:D]

Fred in NC

Most of the small bottles in the market are made from polyethylene. They are usually white frosty plastic, although some come in colors. Polyethylene is impervious to most chemicals. (There are other plastics, but they are more expensive and not as commonly used in commercial packaging)

The problem is the cap. Some of the caps that come with poly bottles are made of a different plastic. That is especially true of fip-tops, pull-outs, and similar. If the plastic is rigid, it probably is not poly. It could then be affected by some of our solvents.

If in doubt, test and be sure !!!

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The 4-oz plastic bottles from the beauty supply store or Wally World work fine for all finishes. Don't worry about the finish harming the plastic. The stuff we put on wood ain't nuthin' compared to what women use on their hair.

Need a secure cap?? Go to the electrical section of Home Depot and get a little bag of wire-nuts. The yellow ones should be the right size. They are a better seal than the originals.

GregD

Where are you guys finding these squirt bottles at Wal Mart??? I've been all over our local Wal Mart looking for them. I can't find them.

Fred in NC

Greg, I found them in the crafts section. I vaguely remember they were close to cake decorating supplies. They were in bags of two, hanging from a rack.

Fred in NC

EDITED:

The answer below refers to a question of where to find the plastic bottles in WALMART. I have only found them in the crafts section.
------------------------------------------------------------------

(Referring to WalMart) Not anymore, Russ. This is the disposable age, and most people are too lazy to even measure stuff. Each box of hair color has its own bottles with premeasured chemicals. I guess the bottles are thrown away after use.

I have only found the empty hair color bottles at beauty supply stores. They were bigger, marked for volume outside, and more expensive.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by GregD
<br />Where are you guys finding these squirt bottles at Wal Mart??? I've been all over our local Wal Mart looking for them. I can't find them.

The ones I found this week were in a special center-asile display near the photo department. Not a logical spot but it was a special promo deal. Of course, that was the store in my town, can't guranatee all will do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom