Squaring Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glwalker

I've got one.... I like it.... and I use it. Its the carbide one. Because of some of the techniques I use (see chiping problem thread) I sometimes need to clean the carbide tips to remove any ca glue which may have accumulated. Also, this is the only tool of this type that I've ever used so I don't have any basis for comparison.

"How long of blanks will it square up?" The bit probably goes into the tube about 3" max. But in any case, you ream both ends so it doesn't really matter much how long it is. But I like the length as I think it helps keep everything square. I've never had a squaring type problem.

Last edited:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I've got one.... I like it.... and I use it. Its the carbide one. Because of some of the techniques I use (see chiping problem thread) I sometimes need to clean the carbide tips to remove any ca glue which may have accumulated. Also, this is the only tool of this type that I've ever used so I don't have any basis for comparison.

"How long of blanks will it square up?" The bit probably goes into the tube about 3" max. But in any case, you ream both ends so it doesn't really matter much how long it is. But I like the length as I think it helps keep everything square. I've never had a squaring type problem.

Gary,

I think if you look at the link Rich provided you will see he is talking about the jig rather than a pen mill.

Rich,

I bought the jig and did not care for it at all. I couldn't even tell you where it is in my shop. (Not that losing things in my shop is rare!! :redface: )

glwalker

Oooops

Gary,

I think if you look at the link Rich provided you will see he is talking about the jig rather than a pen mill.

Rich,

I bought the jig and did not care for it at all. I couldn't even tell you where it is in my shop. (Not that losing things in my shop is rare!! :redface: )

My bad.... I don't have a jig nor the desire to have one (or do one). I use a cheap drill press, some times even the lathe.

snyiper

I made my jig to use on the disc sander and I like it. It is great for touching up the ends before turning. Mine is made from cutting board so it will slide smooth. Cheap and easy.

Top Bottom