Square Bowl - Verrrrrrryyyyy Wormy Persimmon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

This is my first attempt at t square/winged bowl. The wood is some very wormy persimmon. This piece was pretty fun. I've been wanting to do one of these square bowls for a while, but was a bit intimidated.

Any comments or critiques are definitely welcomed.

Attachments

• top_angle.jpg
    top_angle.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 384
  • sq_upright.jpg
    sq_upright.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 323
  • sq_bottom.jpg
    sq_bottom.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 362
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow!!!! Even THINKING about attempting to try something like that brings me out in a cold sweat!!!!:eek:

Last edited:

randyrls

I was at a woodturning demo yesterday and the turner "discovered" a worm in the wood. After picking the remains out, he commented that he was glad he wasn't talking at the time he "found" it! And he had to clean his safety glasses!

Everyone all together now... EEEUUUUGGGHHHH!!!!!

broitblat

Nice work!

I really like the shape and finish and can appreciate the skill to work with a piece of wood like that. I think you have to give the worms an "assist" on the blank, though.

-Barry

GouletPens

Wow, Ben, I'm loving that. How big/small is that finished bowl? And y'know what they say, if it won't hold soup, it's art!

davinci27

Thanks folks. A guy at my local turning club did a demo on turning a natural edge square bowl. You can't tell it because the edgesare so wormy, but they are actually the outside of the log.

I've got alot of this wood, I'm going to try cutting some pen blanks and having the stabilized to see how they look as pens. This wood turns like butter. I think it turns so easily because its about half wood/half worm, and worms are very soft.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ben, anyone would be proud to have that in their high dollar collection! What a wonderfully done piece. Please bring that to the next meeting, I would love to take a look at it!

davinci27

Forgot, somebody asked about how big the bowl was. It is about 6 inches square with the actual bowl opening about 3 inches. I've only got the a turncrafter midi lath with a 10 inch swing, so I can't do a square much bigger than this. The swing for this bowl is 8" so I could do something a little bigger but would have to be careful of the banjo. I'm asking for a bigger lathe with a swivel headstock for Christmas. I just worry about Santa getting that thing down the chimney.

As for dodging the wings, I was terrified. I'm a bit paranoid around anything that can get my fingers. I got my finger caught in a stitcher when I was about 17. For those that don't know a stitcher is essentially an industrial staple like they would use to bind magazines and such. Crushed the bone in the end of my finger and stapled it flat. I was lucky the on call surgeon specialized in hand reconstruction. Every other doctor I've talked to told me they would have cut it off at the first knuckle. The whole incident did give me a healty fear of machinery though.

Last edited:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
That is a stunning piece of work, Ben.
WOW! I've never seen such well behaved worms - making such a beautiful pattern

Top Bottom