Spruce burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from David Keller

David Keller

Here's a simple form turned from a spruce burl. The wood came from TurnerJohn74, and it's my first turning with spruce... Lovely smell and cuts quite easily. Thanks, John!

About 9" in diameter. Finished with shellac and one coat of gloss WOP thus far.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.
spruce-burl-HF1.jpgspruce-burl-HF-2.jpgspruce-burl-HF-3.jpgspruce-burl-HF-4.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

David, It's beautiful....but WOW..from someone who has never turned something that elegant has several thoughts that pop to mind. The thoughts may seem trivial to you but I have to express them. First, I am in awe that all of that wood came out of that hole in the top. Second is how you can keep from turning through the walls...and third...end up with something that gorgeous! Thanks for showing. Regards, Doc

greggas

David;

Nice job...I'm curious, since I have three large spruce burls in my barn that I have been thinking about finally getting to, where you able to get a thin wall since it was easy to turn or was it such a light wood that you kept the walls thick?

David Keller

Thanks for the comments folks.

That looks great!! Did you hollow it out too?

Yeah, it's hollow.

David, It's beautiful....but WOW..from someone who has never turned something that elegant has several thoughts that pop to mind. The thoughts may seem trivial to you but I have to express them. First, I am in awe that all of that wood came out of that hole in the top. Second is how you can keep from turning through the walls...and third...end up with something that gorgeous! Thanks for showing. Regards, Doc

Thanks, Doc. I used the monster articulated hollowing rig with a laser guide for hollowing. It can be done by hand, but I find the process more relaxed with the rig... Nothing wrong with a little technology, huh? There's nothing too difficult about hollowing... It's just practice and patience like everything else. I'd be happy to teach me how to do it if you'll teach me how to make pens as nice as yours.

David;

Nice job...I'm curious, since I have three large spruce burls in my barn that I have been thinking about finally getting to, where you able to get a thin wall since it was easy to turn or was it such a light wood that you kept the walls thick?

I'd guess the walls are right at 1/4 inch thick... Maybe a little less. I could have gone thinner, but as light as the wood is, I didn't see the point. The worm holes really help when trying to get a consistent thickness. I'd say you need to go mount up one of those burls.

Top Bottom