Spoon Carving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

Wanting to give a try at spoon caring, have a carving knife, just wondering if there is a special knife needed to carve out the bowl of a spoon? Any help is appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TimS124

That said, you can carve the bowl with any of several different gouges, a dremel, and likely several other ways (depends in part on how deep you want the bowl to be, what tools you already have on hand, and how much budget you have to spend on new tools).

dogcatcher

I converted some old hoof knives I got from a local farrier. They were free or I would have bought a scorp. But I have used the Flexcut set and will admit they are easier and a better choice.

TimS124

Curly

I'd go in a different direction. I think a carving gouge works well. A #7 sweep or #5 or #9 if you prefer about 3/4 or 1 inch wide. Freehand, you choke up on it, holding closer to the edge and pivot and control with the thumb of the other hand. Always cutting away from yourself. With the spoon clamped to the bench you can work it with both hands or a carving mallet.

Pete

KenV

Peter Sellers has a nice YouTube show on carving the spoon bowl with a 35 mm #7 Hirsch gouge from Highland Woodworking. He uses a vise to hold the spoon blank.

There are several different carving styles for spoons, and especially handles with embellishments.

Get a carvers glove if you opt for a handheld style of carving. Avoids staining the wood.

Top Bottom