Speaking of Antler....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

schak3536

I have turned a dozen or so antler pens, and one problem I can't seem to solve is what I call "drill bit drift". My drill bit seems to actually flex toward the softer marrow in the center of the blank. Obviously the result is an oversized diameter hole on the entry end of the blank. Everything is clamped securely, and there is no play in the chuck or taper. Bits are new and sharp. Would additional speed make a difference? I'm drilling at about 1300.

K.T. Schafer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NavyDiver

It also helps to have the surface of the antler perpinducular to the drill bit. Try clamping the antler in your press before final trimming and mark it perpindicular to the drill bit then unclamp it and trim. The bit won't wander nearly as easily if it is not trying to enter at an angle.

schak3536

Thanks for the replies. My preference for the final product is to have a nice combination of the "outer" hard material which finishes nice and white, with a little marrow which provides an interesting contrast. Drilling at the interface of the two, the bit seems to want to take the path of least resistance and move toward the marrow. I'm using a drill press, I do ensure that the bit enters perpendicular, and I keep the feed rate low. I'm not an expert on different drill bit types, but most I have used I would refer to as "standard".... but I do have some brad-points as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom