Spalting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
If I have some nice, but plain, wood, how does someone cause spalting? I've seen a couple of folks mention that they are forcing to occur so I am just wondering how that is done.

Thanks
GK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

donwae

I thought 'spalted' wood meant it had a fungal growth in it. Someone told me I should wear a breathing mask while cutting, sanding or turning spalted wood.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
That is what I understand, too. It causes better contrast in plain woods. My question is how to encourage that fungal growth in wood that doesn't already have some?

GK

toolcrazy

I've heard different wives tales about how to spalt, but spalting is caused by the wood being in a damp place for a long period of time. This causes the fungus to form which breaks down the wood. The problems is that this will cause the wood to rot so you have to be very careful. One method, I heard, was get the wood wet and stick it in a plastic bag (zip lock) and wait. But like I said, it may be a wives tale.

alamocdc

I first got my wood to spalt quite accidentally. I left two Maple logs laying in an empty raised flower bed for about a year. When I cut the logs into shorter sections for bowls, I found that they had spalted. So anything I want to spalt now I just lay in the bed for 6 to 9 months. It seems to work.

Rifleman1776

I covered some blanks with wet leaves and material from the forest floor for several months. It started the process. Probably the best way is to look for trees that have been down for a year or more.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone, that is exactly what I was looking for. Bummer that Cherry doesn't spalt well. I have huge cherry tree roots that just got dug up to make room for a new patio. Oh well.

GK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom