Spalted Pecan and Claro Walnut Mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kyaggie

kyaggie

I graduated from a small school in Texas (class size of 60) and I went to that school from kindergarten through 12th grade. Through the wonders of social media, aka Facebook, I have been able to keep in touch with my 3rd grade teacher who was a powerful influence on my life both when I was in school and for these almost 3 decades since I graduated from high school even though I have moved almost 1000 miles away. Mrs. Anders wanted a salt and pepper mill so I was honored to make these for her. They are out of claro walnut and spalted pecan and the finish is Pens Plus from doctorswoodshop.com. This is my favorite design for mills because it is simple and it focuses your attention on the beauty of the wood instead of the design.

Mike

Attachments

• Mrs. Anders Mills.jpg
    Mrs. Anders Mills.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 377
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

So this is Charlie's wife who is a teacher and I was moved by what was written about your former teacher. To keep in touch with her 3 decades later has got to be an honor for her. To craft these is really a gift from the heart. These are awesome! :good:

BSea

Thanks for showing these. I'm thinking of doing a similar set, and I've been looking at doctorswoodshop.com today, and I'm planning on getting some of the exact finish you used.

They both look great.

kyaggie

Thanks very much all... she is a special person and I'm very glad to make these for her.

Craig, these use the CrushGrind mechanism.

Mike

kyaggie

I've been looking at doctorswoodshop.com today, and I'm planning on getting some of the exact finish you used.

These are the first items I have used the Pens Plus doctorswoodshop finish on and I'm really happy with it. It goes on well and gives a nice polished look that isn't too glossy. I have been using General Finish Arm-R-Seal semi-gloss but when done it was too much of a gloss/plastic look for me not to mention that it took days and was prone to runs. The Pens Plus goes on very easy, gives a nice depth of finish and has a nice polished look but it still looks and feels like wood. Plus it gives you a completed project in a short amount of time. It will definitely be my finish for mills, bottle stoppers and such.

Mike

BSea

I've been looking at doctorswoodshop.com today, and I'm planning on getting some of the exact finish you used.

These are the first items I have used the Pens Plus doctorswoodshop finish on and I'm really happy with it. It goes on well and gives a nice polished look that isn't too glossy. I have been using General Finish Arm-R-Seal semi-gloss but when done it was too much of a gloss/plastic look for me not to mention that it took days and was prone to runs. The Pens Plus goes on very easy, gives a nice depth of finish and has a nice polished look but it still looks and feels like wood. Plus it gives you a completed project in a short amount of time. It will definitely be my finish for mills, bottle stoppers and such.

Mike
Thanks for the review. I've been researching different finishes because I have such a strong reaction to CA. Plus, I want an option for pens. Although most people like a CA finish, some (me included) prefer the more satin finish. I've done some satin finish with CA, but I'd rather use something that doesn't require a respirator.

Mike,
Those are very nice... I really like your design and shapes.... matter of fact, I copied your design to my go-by files for future reference... I make lots of pepper mills and sell them locally at the Knoxville Farmer's market and other shows in and around east Tennessee... I use the crush grind exclusively as I tend to be measurementally challenged and the steel mills always are either too long or too short... I can adjust the CG's to fit my turnings.

BTW, I graduated from a small school in east Texas as well... we had 46 in my grad class, and 375 in the entire school... 7th grade through 12th.... I think the elementary had about the same number, but it was across town (about 5 blocks away)... I may have graduated a few years before you as I think all of my teachers have long since passed away. Last one I remember seeing was a few years back and the year he taught my class, never had him for a class myself, was my senior year and he was just out of college and doing his first year of teaching... matter of fact, to show how young he was, after graduation, he married one of the girls in the senior class...

kyaggie

Mike,
Those are very nice... I really like your design and shapes.... matter of fact, I copied your design to my go-by files for future reference...

BTW, I graduated from a small school in east Texas as well... we had 46 in my grad class, and 375 in the entire school... 7th grade through 12th.... I think the elementary had about the same number, but it was across town (about 5 blocks away)... I may have graduated a few years before you as I think all of my teachers have long since passed away.

Chuck, thanks and I'm glad you like them and have added them to your "go-by" files. In this region of Kentucky, a lot of furniture is strongly influenced by the Shaker religious community (Shaker History - Inn at Shaker Village, Pleasant Hill, KY - Historic Shaker Inn), which stressed simplicity and efficiency in function. So, this is my interpretation of how a Shaker mill would look like. The bonus is that this shape is very comfortable to hold and use.

I do have a question for you, out of curiosity, what do you sell your mills for?

As for my teacher who I made these for, she was only 3 years removed from college when I was in her 3rd grade class. Amazingly she is still teaching at the same school district (it's gone from the 1A school when I was there to a large division 5A school!) and she is either in her 39th or 40th year (she took a couple of years off when she had her kids).

Take care,
Mike

clapiana

hey chuck I like the pricing model you have :) simple and easy to figure out. those USA grinders you can also easily resize the shaft too.

I have heard about this finish often which I might just try out.

hey chuck I like the pricing model you have :) simple and easy to figure out. those USA grinders you can also easily resize the shaft too.

I have heard about this finish often which I might just try out.

Wish I could take credit for the pricing model... I actually got the idea from Ed Brown of Exotic Blanks... it gives me a base to start and then I can adjust up or down depending on how well I did the mill....also I have to consider my market place... this past year with the media doing their scare tactics on the economy, money didn't flow quite so freely as it has in the past. Even though the formula says a 12" mill should sell for $120, I know it won't and so I'll drop the price down into the $90's or below, depending on the woods.... the more common woods I use are lower, the glue ups and more exotic woods are closer to the century mark.

I stick pretty much to the crush grinds because I like the freedom of the design.

Top Bottom